Best friend's duty

I heard the phone ringing out loud. I flinched in the sound but decided to ignore it. I pulled my pillow and cover my ears so i could not hear the noise coming from it.

"Sheesh!" I groaned loudly as the ringing won't stop. Seems like the one calling is really in trouble to call repeatedly.

Still my eyes close, i stretched my right hand in the bedside table to pick up my phone. And since i'm still in the dreamland, it took me almost eternity to answer it.

"H-hello?" I answered without looking at the caller i.d.

I almost jumped out of my bed hearing the yell on the other line. "W-what the hell!? I've been calling you since forever and it takes you  seven tries before you manage to pick up your phone?!"

"I-I a-"

Before i could answer back, i was rudely cutoff. The caller keeps on ranting about my rudeness in not being able to answer the call within three rings which is still acceptable in phone etiquette 101.

Seriously?! I'm rude? So it is not rude to call at-- i glance at my bed clock that says two-thirty five in the morning- and yell at someone for not picking up the phone within three rings because she was sleeping because it was what normal people do? Seriously, it's rude?

"See!? You're not even listening, what the hell are you doing?!"

Sleeping! I yelled back in my mind. "Uhm, I am j-----" I did not able to finished my excuse when a loud yawn escaped in my mouth.

The caller was silent on the other line. It seems like she had already figured out the reason why.

"I'm sorry, Ken. I didn't know that's it's already too late and that you might be sleeping now."

Finally! I exclaimed. If this was just a call from another ordinary person, i would surely love to hang up now. But this is not. I felt guilt wrapping my being.

"It's alright, Rain." I said in my usual calm tone.It's alright? You were rudely wake up! My mind mocked.

"Is there anything i could help you?" I asked worriedly. Great! Now you're acting someone's hero again.

I heard the voice on the other line cracked. I am now on my senses as i heard her sniffing.

"Hey, Rain. Are you okay? Where are you? I'll be there." I immediately got out of my bed and walked in my closet to get a decent pair of clothes.

I heard a faint sob which added to my guilt and worries. "Rain, i should be there! Tell me where you are!" I almost yell as I am putting a shirt and jeans on.

After getting her whereabouts, i almost run off of the house as i grabbed my car keys. I saw my sister in the living room as she sits comfortably in the couch still wearing her office uniform. She's into a night shift which didn't bother me a bit. She looked at me and gave me a questioning look. When i didn't answer, she voice it out.

"It's late, where are you going?"

I glanced up at her without slowing my pace. "Down town. Rain needs me to be there." I shout as i reached the front door.

I heard her chuckle and with a shout back she says, "Go ahead and pick up your everyday and every night problematic Girlfriend."

I just rolled my eyes in her sarcastic remarks. She was not really fond of Rain eversince. I didnt have a problem with it though, since she is not prying in my personal life. She's the coolest sister ever.

I drove off the driveway with ease--hurrying up like i have always been when it comes with Lorraine Mckenzie---Rain for short.

We have known each other for three years and have been doing the same cleaning up the mess and all bestfriends's duty whenever she was in trouble. She really was a pain in the ass- but just the same i wonder why i am not still kicking her off. Maybe because i have this strong attraction towards her.

That's a secret--me having this weird feeling towards her. Weird because it's not normal and obviously out of the norm. How many straight girl people fall for their girl best friend? I wouldn't want to know the answer either.

If you'll gonna asked me how i did, i just gonna give you a cold shoulder because i don't even know too. It just came as quick as a lightning and has an after effect as hard as a thunder struck that keeps me paralyzed.

Don't wonder why i cursed Cupid for striking an arrow into me the least moment i expect it. Plain because i don't fall in love---i fucked but never fall. But with Rain, i'm wearing my heart on my sleeves if you know what i mean.

I easily spotted her standing outside whomever the owner of the house holding out a party. Rain is in her usual tank top and mini skirt. She always wear clothes that could hardly cover skin. I cursed and grabbed my gray jacket in the back seat. Good thing i always bring one.

I then slid out of the car and walk in her direction. I immediately wrapped the jacket in her. She looked up at me with her red puffed eyes-which is a result of crying.

"Ken!" She screamed and hugged me tightly. I felt my shirt wettened with her tears. She's crying again!?!

I caress her back gently and was about to asked the reason why when i saw Jack Conner--her boyfriend, flirting with Mandy a.k.a everybody's girlfriend.

I gritted my teeth and clenched my fist. It wouldnt need a genius to figure out what was happening. Rain glance to see whom i'm throwing bloody dagger gazes and with a small voice she confirmed my thought. "H-he says he's fed up with me and wants to break up so he c----"

I didn't let her finished as i marched angrily towards Jack's direction grabbing the collar of his shirt.

"Hey, Kristen! " he greeted ecstatically and gave me a dirty look. Before someone could stop me, i already punch his handsome face and smack him in the wall. I grabbed his left arm in his back as i shoved his front against the dirty cold marble wall. Don't wonder how i managed to flipped a big guy, thanks to my black belt in taekwondo.

Jack shouts in pain as i put pressure in him causing the attention of the party poppers to dawn on us. I heard Rain calling my name to stopped me. But my anger drove me into madness.

No one can hurt Rain and goes away with it!

"Fuck you, Conner! Don't you dare come near my best friend or i'll wring your neck!! You know i won't have a trouble ripping off your head!!"

I then pushed him hard on the wall and throw a disgusting look at Mandy who just smirked at me. What a slut!

I then grabbed Rain's wrist and pulled her out of this mess .

"Why did you do that?" She asked as we slid inside my car.

I smiled and tapped her cheeks lightly as i whispered, "Best friend's duty."

---
A/N

This is my first book so please bear with me. :)

Urgh @Kryzl_Cassandra sinabi ko ba talaga na ipopost ko 'to pabalik? 🤧