Chapter Fifty-Eight - Dandelions

Somewhere around midnight, the party died down, and I found myself alone in Ethan's kitchen. It had been a whirlwind of an event. I met so many different, pretty people, who I found myself begrudgingly enjoying their company. They were the kind of people that were 'popular' in high school. The kind that would ignore me. But they seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me and my life. I guess that's what a couple magazine covers, and a popular boyfriend did for your social status.

Boyfriend. Fuck. I still couldn't believe it was real. Watching him, across the living room, laughing loudly while saying goodbye to the last of the stragglers was unreal. Ethan Hawthorn had such a life to him. One that drew people to him and held them there, unable to pull themselves from his influence. And there were girls. A lot of girls sucked into his magnetic energy. It was just something I would have to get used to somehow.

He glanced up, catching me staring, and I quickly averted my eyes, my cheeks flaming an unflattering shade of red. I busied myself tossing cups and bottles in the recycling container as I made my way across the kitchen. The front door opened and closed, but I kept my gaze focused on the kitchen island.

"Leave it." Ethan's voice purred near my ear, and his arms slowly wrapped around me from behind. He must be light on his feet, because I hadn't even heard him approach me.

"I don't mind..." I grabbed for more bottles, but he spun me in place.

"There's a crew coming in the morning."

"Oh."

"Can I kiss you now? I've been dying to all night..."

I smiled shyly, pushing a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Okay." I could barely get the word out before Ethan's plump lips captured mine. Hot. Demanding. His tongue swimming deep in my mouth, and I had to hold onto his shoulders to keep from falling over. Good God, this man could kiss.

His fingers found my hips, and he easily lifted me so I was sitting on his kitchen counter with him standing between my legs. My dress rode up indecently, but I barely noticed. His hands had been up my skirt before. There were no real secrets there.

We kissed like that for an eternity before he pulled back, short of breath. "I hope I didn't freak you out earlier..."

"Freak me out?" My head was still spinning.

"With the whole girlfriend thing. I know it may seem a little soon, but since you kissed me in that hotel lobby, that's how I've thought of you."

"Really?" I couldn't keep the disbelief from my voice.

"Why does that surprise you?"

"I just thought people put labels on things after months of confused interactions and tons of meaningless sex." Ethan's blonde eyebrows shot upwards.

"Who the fuck have you been dating?"

"No one. Really." I tried to look away, embarrassed by my own dating ineptitude, but he captured my face in his hands not allowing me to hide.

"You've never...you've never had a boyfriend?" I shook my head in his hands. "Surely there's been someone..."

"There was, but he wasn't my boyfriend. He was....different." I couldn't even begin to explain Eli and I to an outsider. Twenty-one years of love and...damage.

"Well whoever he was, I feel like I should call and thank him."

"Thank him? For what?!"

"For fucking up so badly that I get this shot." I laughed, but a tear streaked my cheek and Ethan was quick to wipe it away. His lips met mine again, but they were gentle this time. "Tell me you're staying."