Chapter Twenty-Nine: Queens' Invitation

Rosalyn Lockhart didn't expect guests, well, she didn't expect anyone besides Sir Julius Ginellevé to come around with a certain Hatter and perhaps his companions with them so when the sounds of immediate knocking could be heard—her eye twitched.

She dropped her quill on her parchment, "Enter."

Her good mood from eating tarts and drinking tea with Mary Ann vanished like bubbles as the door opened a certain man popped his head in, "Pardon me for the intrusion in your private study, Her Majesty—"

"Spit out whatever His Majesty had sent you for." The Queen of Hearts massaged her temples as she tried not to give the Prime Minister an evil look. She had no time for these disturbances but she doubted anybody cared for that. What did the King need her for this time?

Blyke Edelweiss stepped into the room and dabbed his brows with a handkerchief, "The Queens from the other Kingdoms are requesting your presence."

She stared at him for a moment.

Did she hear things correctly? That shouldn't be the case... and yet the look on the man's face said it all. Rosalyn Lockhart was positive that this did not occur in her previous time so why was it happening now? The differences were starting to grate on her nerves when all she wanted to do was to be left alone.

Well, she wanted allies and friends.

But she seriously doubted that people from neighboring Kingdoms had their best interests for her and yet she sighed and stood up from her chair, "Alright lead the way, Prime Minister. Brief me on the occurrences behind this and why the King can't handle it."

"O-Of course, Your Majesty." The man held out the door open for her as she went out and he began to escort her. "The Queens are looking for companionship that someone of the opposite sex wouldn't be able to give to them, perhaps they're looking for more leisure activities that do not involve the Kings discussing the agreements and 'boring' meetings."

If there was somebody else that was privy to her and the King's affairs.

Well, Sir Julius Ginellevé was the first one who'd come to her mind but it also happened to be the Prime Minister, Blyke Edelweiss himself.

She eyed him, compared to the other people within the castle—this man wasn't so different in height compared to her. The small man proved himself to be a useful ally of the King and to an extent to herself, although she knew where his preference lies. She focused on his words and felt a sigh escape her lips, "It would be more proper for them to attend the meeting instead of deciding to frolic around."

"Your Majesty, I beg of you to speak with more cau—"

Rosalyn tilted her head at him, "What was that Prime Minister? Were you telling me to do something?"

"Forgive me for speaking out of turn, Your Majesty." Blyke Edelweiss was quick to bow his head deeply in her presence.

She rolled her eyes as he escorted her down the corridor, "You may get away by giving unsolicited advice to His Majesty but speak with more caution around me," She gave him a smile, "The two of us come from different backgrounds, entirely different worlds, so treat me with respect befitting of my station."

"O-Of course, Your Majesty."

Maybe she had gone too far, but any servant who would stumble upon them and even the other Kings and Queens would know that she spoke of the truth. And yet her grudge was getting ahead of her tasks at the moment, she needed to entertain the other Queens.

"Some other lady could have done it, Lady Catherine Duke would have loved to meet them and perhaps serve them her special tea brew." The thought brought a miniscule smile on her lips, now that would have been entertaining. The other Queens could scald their tongues off if they wanted. "Alas, she lives too far in the borders with her husband. But surely they are visiting?"

"Yes, Your Majesty." Now that was something far easier to deal with. "I believe they shall be arriving in a day or so, they are using the fastest of horses and carriages."

"Good."

Somehow the thought of dealing with Catherine Duke seemed far easier than with her current situation, even though the idea of entertaining Queens seemed simple. It was customary to tour them around the castle's premises as a way to exhibit the place and its beloved sights and to end it with perhaps tea or another meal unless it was a large gathering and a banquet would be held at the end. That was what King Alexander did yesterday with the Kings and if they visited the other Kingdoms, no doubt that the treatment would be the same.

But of course things weren't as crystal clear as they were on the surface.

Why would the Queens request her presence? Would all four of them smile and have a cup of tea together while discussing pleasantries? Of course! They didn't want to speak of boring meetings and the plight of the commoners. Instead this would be the opportunity for them to exchange talks about their wealth and flaunt their gowns or tease and prod one another of their Kings.

Yes, that was probably what would happen. She could already imagine their afternoon tea after a short walk along her castle's gardens. Exchanging words of honey mixed with poison and smiles that were simply well-fashioned masks.

A Royal and Noble's intrigue.

They would probably want to look down on her and gather information among other things, anything interesting of note. The people in power do not often fight each other with swords—unless one meant assassination. And that were usually poisoned daggers instead of swords. Excluding her Knight who preferred swords but most opted for a concealed weapon.

Nevertheless the real battle was with how much influence one held over the other. What knowledge can bring your foes to downfall and turn your enemies to dust, what could you use to gain other people's trust and other more. And now she was inviting snakes into her garden and it didn't even mean that she would do better in her own territory.

But it wasn't like she hated this situation.

The woman actually thrived in this environment.

With her upbringing, she was a rose with prickly thorns.

One of the servants opened the door as another announced her arrival, "Her Majesty, Queen of Hearts, Rosalyn Lockhart has entered the Royal Hall."