Chapter LIII

When the guilt comes it takes her down the old familiar path. She wants to refuse to walk it, pretend that she is the person that she demands to be. She wanted to see herself in sepia tones, not perfect colour. She wanted to scrub her head clean, but if she did she'd never learn from what happened.

And it's true what they say, those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. And she couldn't bare that. So she kept her eyes on the metal gate, finally swallowing the guilt and letting it sink at the bottom of her stomach. She will change and make amends.

The Sergeant was cleaning her flintlock again, the sleeves of her uniform dirty with black powder smudged all over them. Kuvira always liked that uniform. The light grey material always fit to perfection around each and every guard. The ranks sewed into the upper arms however, that was something she would change. Perhaps a badge or a pin with the rank would look better, but who was Kuvira to suggest such an idea? Like she would ever wear a uniform like that, she'll be stuck in this torn blue coat for the rest of her days. Forever rotting behind bars.

Soon, the basement door opened at the end of the corridor. The approaching footfall was something Kuvira hadn't heard before. Their feet sweeped over the stone floor with each stride and stepped lightly as if they were air, their steps were barely audible but Kuvira could hear them. Suyin put her pistol down on the table and watched as the Colonel stepped in front of Kuvira's cell.

The assassin rose a brow and stood up to face him.
"Hello..." The woman paused as her green eyes trailed over the uniform of the man, stopping at the rank on his upper arms.
"Colonel. How can I help you?"

He stood up straight and eyed the assassin with caution.
"Show me the mark on your back."

Kuvira's breath hitched. She cleared her throat, hiding her shocked expression before anyone saw it. Did he know about the branding? Kuvira noticed that Shady Shin and Desna were leaning against their bars of their cells, listening in closely.

"That was rather abrupt for my liking Colonel. I suppose you'd have to take me for dinner before any of that." She said as a joke, crossing her arms in the process. A couple of snickers could be heard from the other cells.

"There is no time for jokes assassin." Tenzin argued. He clearly wasn't amused.

Kuvira sighed.
"Is it really necessary?"

"Very necessary." The Colonel responded.

Suyin got up from her chair.
"Colonel, what's the meaning of this?"

"Hiroshi has ordered me to check for a mark." He said.
"Apparently she has been branded."

"Branded?" Suyin gasped.

Kuvira stepped back further into her cell, the colour of her face drained. How did he know? Did Korra tell him? That would mean she was finally awake.
"What are you talking about?"

"Stop procrastinating assassin. This is a serious matter." Colonel demanded.

Her lips thinned into a straight line. She would have to show him. The assassin took a breath and slipped off her coat, she spun around and lifted up the shirt; exposing the burn that had scarred her skin.

Shady Shin's mouth parted in shock, he knew that branding in the Guild was a thing, he just never knew that Zaheer actually did it, and Kuvira had been a victim? The Colonel studied the scar, furrowing his eyebrows in the process. It was the same pattern as the one on Korra's flesh, shrivelled and horrid. It was true, Korra was right. Could he really trust them?
"Thank you, that will be all." He said and made his way out of the basement.