25 Dad

Trigger Warning: Violence

Nora~~

Someone yanks off my blindfold. And I find myself in a shiny black room where the floors and walls are both reflective. I'm tied to a chair.

         In the corner of the room, tucked behind Stefan and Hewn, is Charlie. Seeing him, my stomach tightens. Is he in trouble too or is he behind this? I strain against the ropes binding me. They hardly give. "Charlie?" my voice trembles around his name.

         On the other side of the room is Amant and a woman who somehow bears a striking resemblance to them. I can only tell the three men apart from the lengths of their hair. I don't understand how they can share each other's faces and resemblance.

         Someone places a hand on my shoulder. I flinch.

         "Charlie, what's going on?" I ask, my eyes fixed on him.

         He looks as if he's going to be sick.

         A woman steps around the chair to stand in front of me, her hand never letting go of my shoulder.

         A girl appears at my feet, her feet pulled into her chest, blood pooling around her.

         My breath hiccups, and she's gone.

         The woman crouches in front of me, never giving any indication that she saw the girl.

         Charlie tries to push past Stefan and Hewn but they hold him back.

         "Hello, Nora," she says.

         "What do you want?" I try to keep my voice level but fail.

         "It's not me who wants something from you." Her eyes focus on someone behind me. She nods and steps back.

         Is this what Charlie was warning me about? Why I couldn't ask clever questions?

         The woman raises her hand, tightened in a fist and strikes me across the cheek, my neck snapping to the side at the force. As the pain settles over my face and jaw, my eyes water.

         This is not what I thought Charlie was worried about happening.

         She lands a punch to my stomach and strikes my face with the back of her hand. My body screams at me to fight, adrenaline pumping through it, but I'm held fast by ropes.

         "Charlie, please stop this." I can hardly make him out through the tears clouding my vision.

         Hewn's hand is wrapped around Charlie's throat, and he's shoved against the wall.

         The woman continues. A punch to my cheek. A jab to the stomach. A slap against my ear.

         My eardrum rings, and the room tilts.

         "Just tell me what you want me to do." The words hurt to get out.

         She leans forward toward my face. "Sleep, Nora." Her face blurs.

         "Sleep?"

         "That's all."

         I hang my head, panting. "I don't know what that is."

         She purses her lips. "A pity." She hits my stomach, knocking the air out of me.

         Charlie claws at Stefan's and Hewn's arms. "Dad, stop this, it's not working."