Capítulo Trinta e Um: O Vestido

Gemma's POV:

"What about this one?" The store attendant, a woman named Juno, held up a dress that I wouldn't even dream of slipping into. Mainly, because I knew that if I ever thought about it, my brothers would skin me alive.

"Too revealing." I sighed.

Juno grumbled a curse, throwing the dress to the side before plucking another dress from the rack.

"This one looks fine. What about it?" She asked, holding it up so I could get a good look.

I was pretty sure my grimace told her all she needed to know.

"It's the color of puke." I groaned, running a hand over my face as if that would make me forget about the hideous green dress Juno was offering. She nodded her head, lips pulled down in disgust as she looked over the dress once more.

"Agreed. I never thought there could be so many dresses in this store that I wanted to burn." She chuckled, throwing aside another grey dress that would make me look like a nun, which was exactly what my brothers were searching for.

My phone, newly bought and presented to me when my brothers realized I was completely without technology, started ringing. I jumped a mile in the air, still unused to the weird buzzing that the box let off when someone called.

"Hello?" I answered, trying to play off just how embarrassed I was about jumping. Thankfully, Juno was turned in the other direction, still searching through the racks for the perfect dress.

"Just wanted to make sure everything was going alright. Have you found a dress yet?" Tobias asked, his voice overshadowed momentarily by others. I assumed those around him were my brothers, seeing as how Tobias wouldn't let anyone else talk over him.

"Not even close," I grumbled, shaking my head at the somewhat pretty sky blue dress. It wasn't what I was looking for. Juno tossed it aside, delving back into the racks after taking a moment to breathe deeply.

"Well, we may need to put finding a dress off to another day. You and I need to talk once we get home." Tobias was suddenly serious, the hint of teasing diminishing rapidly. I thought back to earlier that day, earlier that week.

I hadn't done anything wrong, hadn't broken anything. I mean, I did eat one of Damian's yellow lollipops but no one knew about that since I hid the evidence of my betrayal right after it happened.

By the way, yellow lollipops suck. I had no idea how Damian gnawed on those things all the time.

"Did I do something wrong?" I hated how vulnerable and scared I sounded. Juno heard it too. She turned and watched me, concern written clearly in the planes of her face.

She was really pretty. And twenty-something. I wondered momentarily if I could set her up with one of my brothers. Nah, I wouldn't do that to her. I wasn't that evil.

"Nothing's wrong, I promise. Just some stuff the state is sending over about your education and medical history that we need to go through. They're also going to schedule another interview with a couple of officers. They just want to run through your story again, get an alibi for the day of George's murder." Tobias explained quickly. I let out a big breath of relief, a smile curling my lips when I realized it was literally nothing that was too big of a deal.

"Give me ten more minutes, please?" I asked nicely, praying I could get the extension. I wanted to try and find a dress. I didn't know why I wanted to find a dress so badly, but I did.

It was the first time I could really and truly make a decision about what I wanted.

Not because it was for my survival, or so I could avoid another debilitating beating, but because I simply could.