Chapter 52

*My only nightmare is waking up in a world where you're not mine*

*Third Person Pov*

Leah was sitting on the grass, reading a book called 'the silent wife', which Laura had leant her. When Leah reads,she relaxes and the tension leaves her be. Reading enables her to focus on a virtual world, making her forget the things stressing her for a while, when engrossed in a good book.

She wasn't that far from Tony and Steve, who were chopping some wood, close enough so she could hear them.

"Thor didn't say where he was going for answers?" Tony asked lowering is axe with force, causing the block of wood to break in half.
"Sometimes my teammates don't tell me thing. I was kind of hoping Thor would be the exception," Steve replied.

"Yeah, give him time. We don't know what the Maxinoff kid showed him." Tony looked over to leah, watching her eyes move left and right calmly, while she reads.

"Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Pulled us apart like cotton candy," Steve said sarcastically.

"Seems like you walked away alright," Tony mentioned smugly.
"Is that a problem?" Steve said, looking at Tony seriously.
"I don't trust a guy without a dark side."
"Well let's just say you haven't seen it yet," Steve defended himself.

Leah got sick and tired of their petty little arguments, so she stood up, slammed her book shoot, and glared at them both before speaking up.

"Will you two just stop arguing for 1 god damn second?!"

The two mens heads turned towards her, shocked expressions due to her sudden change of mood.

"Dont we have more important things to do? Like figuring out what to do next. Maybe looking out for eachother? But no. You two are stood here, arguing like children. Grow up!" Leah exclaimed and entered the small modern house; leaving the two men dumbstruck.

"She's right," Steve spoke up after their moment of stunned silence.
"I know." "You know Ultron is trying to tear us apart, right?" Tony continued.

Before Steve could say anything, Laura, Clint's wife, interrupted their continues bickering.

"I'm sorry. Mr Stark, uh, Clint said you wouldn't mind, but, our tractor, it doesn't seem to want to start. At all."

"Yeah, I'll give it look," Tony gave her a nice smile. "Dont take from my pile," Tony said to Steve, referring to his pile of chopped wood.

* * *

*Tony's Pov*

I enter the barn that the tractor was being kept, and I walked over to it, tapping it.

"Hello, Deere. Tell me everything. What ails you?" I asked the Tractor, basically speaking to myself. Now that I say it, I sound crazy.

"Do me a favor. Try not to bring it to life," a voice said from behind me. I turned around to see Fury on the other end of the barn, coming out from behind a wooden fence wall.

"Ah, Mrs Barton, you little minx. I get it, Maria Hill called you, right? Was she ever not working for you?"

"Artificial intelligence. You never even hesitated."

"Look, it's been a really long day. Like, O'Neil long, so how about we skip to the part where you are useful?" I rushed him because impatience was hovering around me.

"Look me in the eye and tell me your going to shut him down," Fury ordered me.
"Your bot the director of me," I snapped.
"I'm not the director of anybody. I'm just an old man who cares a lot about this team."

"And I'm the guy who killed the Avengers. I saw it. I didn't tell the team, how could I? I saw them, all dead Nick. The whole world too. I didn't do all I could," I opened up.

"The maximoff girl, she's working you Stark. Playing on your fear."
"I want tricked, I was shown. It wasn't a nightmare, it was my legacy. The end of the path I started us on," I explained.

"You've come up with some pretty impressive inventions, Tony. War isn't one of them," he comforted. Strange coming from Fury. But uts nice once in a while.

"I watched my friends, my friends die Nick. You'd think that'd be as bad as it gets right? Nope, wasn't the worst part," I carried on.

"The worst part is that you didn't."

Those words hit deep. Maybe what I saw wasn't real, maybe it was a nightmare. But I can never be to sure. It was too real for my liking. Seeing my friends, my family....Leah dead, and blame me, its all to much.

"Call everyone to the kitchen, we need to talk real business."

Word Count:770
Sorry that I haven't updated in a few days. I'm back in school now so I may not be uploading as much as I would like. So I'm sorry. But, short chapter just to move everything along.
Kiwi ~🥝