thirty-six

Now that Harry is getting closer to Dacran— even if unintentionally— Alouette knows she has to be fast. If the Revolution senses the danger they might decide to speed up their plan again, so if she truly wants her answers, she has to find them now.

It's clear to her that she has to find a way to access the archive. Unfortunately, Nathan doesn't seem to know much about it: all he was able to tell her was that there seem to be no cameras inside. Alouette knows, though, that she can't risk entering it without knowing anything else about it. She has to talk to someone who's familiar with it, and thankfully enough, she knows just the right person.

The following morning, she invites Jayden out for breakfast. They decide to go to the cafe upstairs instead of the dining room, and sit down at a table close to the corridor, away from the line of people waiting for their order. It isn't hard to get him on the topic of the archive, the few days he's spent in there still too fresh in his mind.

"It was so boring, you have no idea. I think I pissed off the President or something," he laughs, scratching the back of his head as he waits for his drink to cool down.

He's wearing a black suit instead of the uniform today. Harry's personal guard usually blends in with the other employees when they're inside the Palace. It's easier to keep him safe if people can't tell whether he's surrounded by guards or not.

"Couldn't you take any breaks?" Alouette asks him, frowning right after. "Stupid question, sorry. He would've surely noticed when looking at the cameras."

"Nah, there aren't any cameras inside," Jayden says dismissively, shrugging. "We chatted a lot because of that. We didn't take breaks because we wanted to be done as fast as possible, but we sneaked in a lot of food."

Alouette feigns concern. "No cameras? Isn't it unsafe?"

Jayden shakes his head. "There's no way someone dangerous could access the upper floors, so the security is relatively low in there."

"Oh, that's good. At least you got to bring food in. It mustn't have been easy, spending so many days in there from morning to evening."

"It wasn't that tough! The archive usually closes at four in the afternoon, so I was free after that."

Alouette takes a sip of her coffee to hide her blooming smile. That was easier than she thought. "Then I feel less bad about it." She looks up and lets out a surprised gasp when she sees a very familiar man walk by.

Harry. He must be going to his office.

"Sir!" She exclaims, standing up when he doesn't stop. She gets out of her seat and goes after him. "Harry!" She grabs a hold of the sleeve of his suit and he stops walking immediately.

He slowly turns around to look at her, the murderous glance in his eyes disappearing when his eyes meet hers. She lets go of him fast and stares at his crumpled sleeve guiltily. She didn't mean to call him by his name in front of everyone, nor to grasp him in such a way. She can't forget the position he holds in the Palace— and in the country.

"I'm sorry," Alouette says in a whisper only he can hear. "I was wondering if you wanted to join us? We're having coffee. If it wouldn't be a bother, of course."

Harry glances between her and the table she came from for some long moments, and she wonders if he's deciding whether to let it go or publicly scold her for her behaviour. "It wouldn't be," he then says, and Alouette is so relieved she could fall to the ground.

She directs him back to their table and resumes her spot in front of Jayden at the small square table. Harry takes one of the empty chairs at her side. She's about to stand up to go order for him, but he glances at the man behind the counter. Only a small wave of his hand is needed for him to nod his way and get to work.