16: This Introduction

This Introduction

The bell rings signaling the end of third period and the beginning of lunch.

Quinn and I walk to together to the cafeteria after a stop at my locker to put my books away. The entire walk there Quinn looks annoyed, which I just shake off.

Once we walk through the double doors the line for food is almost a mile long. I shrug it off since I can grab something during history.

"Shite." Quinn cusses beside me in her British accent. I have to bite my tongue in order not to laugh. "There's no way in hell I'm waiting in that line."

Before I can respond she grabs my elbow and drags me along with her. I'm confused as what she's planning on doing until I hear people shouting. I look up to see Quinn going straight through the line with her hand out in front of her like a football player. Anyone who argues with her doesn't get much in before she cusses them out.

Finally we get to the front of the line with a whole heard of people behind with scowls on their faces. I mouth sorry to anyone who can see me.

"Are you going to eat something or are you one of those anorexics? My father warned me about you American girls."

I turn to see Quinn waiting impatiently at the start of the food bar. I pick up anything that looks appetizing in front of me which apparently does not look the same to Quinn. She looks at everything with disgust, even the lunch lady. The only thing she picks out is a bag of chips and water.

After we pay, we both head out into the chaos of the lunch room. "Okay you're obviously not anorexic." Quinn looks at me weirdly from out of the corner of her eye. "How could you eat that garbage?"

"It's not garbage." I look down to my hands full of a small box of chicken, a Gatorade, and a bag of caramel popcorn. So maybe it wasn't the healthiest choice for lunch but it's better than the mac and cheese.

"I've seen garbage, and that is garbage." She points to my hands.

"Let's just go sit down. I think my friends are outside." I bite back my tongue from saying anything rude. Not like I could anyways since I'm sure Quinn could knock me out after the first word.

Quinn follows me in silence, glaring or looking at all the students we pass by in disgust.

A small gust of wind falls over us as soon as we walk outside. In the court yard are five tables, each filled with teenagers. I spot my friends sitting on the grass under the shade of an oak tree. I wave to them which I get a confused wave back when they see the bright red hair and leather jacket beside me.

"We're sitting on grass?" Quinn asks disgusted as we start walking towards them.

"There's nowhere else to sit." I shrug my shoulders.

Hopefully Mary Jane and Ella don't make a remark about her rude behavior.

"Hey guys, this is Quinn. She just moved here from England so I offered her to come sit with us." I tell my friends happily as I sit down on the dry grass.

Quinn drops to her knees beside me looking at my friends with a guarded expression.

"Hi! It's nice to meet you, I'm Ella and this is Mary Jane." Ella gives Quinn a small wave and nods to her left to Mary Jane.

"You name is Mary Jane?" Quinn looks at my shy friend with a bewildered look on her face.

Mary Jane nods her head in response.

Quinn sits back on her but with a satisfied expression on her face. "It's just that I know someone with that name. We're really close." Mary Jane relaxes from Quinn's wide grin.