A Morning Jog

Delilah POV.

A loud knock had waken me from my deep sleep. I bolted from the bed I was sleeping on. Damon was sleeping peacefully as the knock became louder.

He groaned and turned onto his back before getting up. I swung my feet off the bed. It sounded almost as if someone was beating on the door.

"Alright, I'm coming. Break my damn door while you're at it!" He screamed and opened the bedroom door before disappearing through the doorway.

I didn't hear any more knocking. So I assume that he answered the door.

Maybe a morning jog can relax me a little. And some Wine. Yeah that'll be nice. A little cheese and crackers... Ooh can't get myself that excited yet.

I chuckled to myself and walked into the closet.

Shorts or leggings? Ah shorts. I picked them out as well as a loose shirt. I might hit the trail today.

Damon walked in as I was pulling my shirt down. He had a frustrated look on his face. I picked up my shoes and walked to the bed. "What's up?"

His eyes were cold before softening when he looked at me.

"It's nothing." He said.

"Well if it's nothing you wouldn't be mad would you? Damon you can tell me." I said and stood up before wrapping my arms around his waist.

He gently leaned his forehead on mine. "Another of my guys were murdered. Not here. During a meeting, with another leader, they got the wrong idea and shot the place up."

What does this mean? Does it mean that we are in trouble with this leader, or are we in danger?

"Come with me on my morning jog. I think you need it." I said and poked his stomach. He smiled and pulled from me. "Alright then. I'll go but you have to keep my pace."

He opened the sliding door that lead to the garden and took off.  I groaned and ran after him. It didn't take much to catch up but it's keeping up with him that's hard.

Why? All I needed was a morning jog. And maybe some wine.

I sprinted and jumped on his back. We went tumbling to the ground. I laughed. "Ha!" I laughed and got up to run the other direction.

Loser... I thought and ran through the trail. Dirt flew in my presence. I couldn't hear anything but I still didn't turn around.

I took a turn and followed the dirt path back before reaching the house. The glass door was open. Did I leave that open?

There ain't no way I left it open like that. I'm sure I had closed it.

My mind wondered to that night. Before I started on the whiskey. The shadow I had saw by the house. I mean, it could've been my mind making up things.

I was tackled to the ground. Damon had pinned my hands above my head. "Who's the loser now huh?" He laughed.

I kicked my feet. "Haha so funny, now, let me go." I said. He simply did but when he let me go, he tossed me over his shoulder.

"H-Hey! Put me down. Holã?!" I said and kicked my feet and hands. I started screaming as he headed right for the pool.

"No! No. No. No!" I laughed and squirmed.

He threw me into the pool. The cold water surrounded me, making my shirt cling to my body. "T-That's cold." I stuttered and swam to the side of the pool. The breeze makes it even colder.

I saw the bushes shaking before a bright light snapped infront of me. I whipped my head around and looked at Damon. He looked at the bushes with an angered look on his face.

I pulled myself up and got out. "I'm going inside, pouring me some wine and pretending that didn't happen." I said and pulled him with me.

"Agreed."

---

It was starting to get dark outside as I sat in the bed. As I raked a hand through my hair, I stared at Damen's back as he stretched.

My phone rang. I looked at it. The hospital was calling me. I picked it up and answered. "Hello?"

"Hi, it's me, Kyle. I have some terrible news that I hate to be the one to tell you." I stopped with my hands and paused. I could feel it coming. Not good news. Something I wish I could've prevented.

I knew it. This day would come and I'm not even prepared for it.

"Don't tell me..." Tears began to swell in my eyes.

"I'm sorry to inform you but, Ms. Shella has passed away." I dropped the phone. I broke down and started to cry. Damon had rushed to my side.

"What's wrong?" He asked. This isn't happening. A dream. Yes this is a dream.

"Ma... She's dead." I sobbed and buried my hands into my eyes hoping it'd stop the tears from flowing.

He went to wrap his arms around me and pull me to him but I swatted his away. "No. Leave me alone."

Damon pulled me to his chest. "Let me go! Just leave me alone!" I sobbed and pushed myself away from him and threw my hands. I gave up let my knees give out from under me. I sank to the floor as I sobbed.

This isn't real. None of this is real. I'm going to wake up and this isn't going to be real. I'm going to go to the hospital and visit Ma and give her so many hugs.

"What am I going to do? They're lying. She isn't dead." I sobbed. Even though I had just pushed him away, I came back and grabbed his shirt as I sobbed uncontrollably.

Damen wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into his lap. I let everything out. Every profanity every scream everything I cried.

It felt like someone was standing in my chest, making it harder to breathe. I let out a sob.

It was an hour before I could calm down. Sitting on the bed rethinking everything. Sulking for a death that I didn't ever want to happen.

That's when I heard four gunshots.

----------------------------------

Okay. So, death happens to everyone right?

Everyone is going to feel the loss, the pain. But we all get through it. Not forgetting but remembering all those memories that we once shared together.

As a family.