Chapter 2: Preparation

"What are you going to do?" Vera asks, her voice soft.

I hear the door close behind her but I remain still, pretending to be asleep. If I don't get up then I don't have to leave today. Simple as that.

Vera's shoes squeak as she walks towards me, and seconds later I hear a creak and feel the mattress dip as she sits on the edge of my bed.

"I don't know what I'm going to do without you and John," she continues. "It's always been the three of us."

Giving up the charade, I open my eyes and peek up at her. Her curly brown hair is thrown up in a messy bun, and deep bags have appeared under her eyes overnight. She looks about as bad as I feel.

I sigh, not knowing what to say. "Well, I'm glad that at least one of us gets to stay here. John and I will be okay." I assure her.

Pushing the thin sheet off my body, I throw my legs over the edge of the bed and pull myself up into a sitting position.

"Help me pack?" I ask.

I'm sure Vera has loads of chores to do today, but I'd like to spend some time with her before leaving. I said all of my goodbyes yesterday during dinner, and am hoping that if I stay in my room all day I can avoid having to go through that all again.

Vera gives me a sad smile. "Of course."

The next couple of hours are spent packing and reminiscing on all the great times we'd had over the years. From running around the castle gardens as young children to becoming teens gossiping about who was having sex. We were lucky in that we weren't expected to start working until we were ten, and therefore got to spend a lot of our childhood exploring and having fun.

"Do you remember when John and Sara started hooking up? We would have to cover for him and tell his mom that he was asked to go help out in the gardens." Vera asks, choking on her laughter.

I chuckle at the memory. I doubt his mom believed us for even one second, especially given that we couldn't stop giggling while speaking to her.

"And remember when she caught them?" I snort. "She made all of us sleep out with the horses for lying to her!"

Vera and I laugh together, continuing to share good memories in an attempt to take our mind off the matter at hand. It makes the time go by quickly, and before I know it it's time to head outside to the main gate.

I take one last look at my bedroom, tears bubbling up in my eyes at the knowledge that this will be the last time I am ever here again. The area is just large enough to hold a twin bed and small chest of drawers, but is the only space that was ever really mine.

"Twenty-four years of existence and all we have to show for it is one sad burlap sack." Vera laughs, sarcasm heavy in her tone.

I glance down at my sack, a loud snort escaping my throat. I quickly throw my hands over my mouth to cover it, the motion causing Vera to laugh harder. Seconds later we are both hunched over with our hands holding our sides as we laugh maniacally.

As expected, it doesn't take long for the laughter to turn into loud, fat sobs. I pull Vera into a hug, burying my face into her curly brown hair and wrapping my arms as tightly as I can around her waist. She does the same to me.

"I'm going to miss you so much." I murmur into her neck.

She sniffles, "Promise you'll write to me?"

"Of course!" I answer, both of us knowing it's a lie. The cost of sending mail is much too expensive for a human, and it will take me years to find enough money to write to her. By then we will have moved on from one another, and will have more important needs for that money.