Chapter 16.2

She woke as a gentle breeze touched her cheek. It cascaded over her skin and she snuggled deeper into the warm bed. There was a weight over her waist. As she slipped out of her dreamless state, she realized that the breeze was actually Luke's breath as he slumbered behind her. Her back was pressed against his front, their legs tangled and his arm lazily thrown over her waist. She could feel the rise and fall of his chest and hear his low snores near her ear.

Trying to quietly slip out of his hold, Dawn pushed his arm back. Luke tightened his hold and pulled her firmly back against his chest. His arm had risen and was dangerously close to her breasts. Still asleep, he repositioned her against him until one of his legs moved between hers and his gentle breaths brushed against her neck. The flush on her cheeks flared and it felt like a fire had burst under her skin.

She had never been held so intimately by a man before. The hand under her breasts began to move, caressing the skin through the thin linen night gown she wore. The heat grew to an inferno, if he was awake he would have felt how hot her skin had become.

"L-Luke," she stammered. But he only groaned, the vibrations of his chest sending a foreign shiver through her body.

"Luke, wake up." She tried again and thankfully this brought him out of his explorative slumber. But as he woke, he stretched against her and the foreign shiver returned, terminating at the tips of her fingers.

He fell back against the bed and ran his fingers through his hair. The signs of exhaustion were gone and he turned his head to smile at her.

"Good morning"

"Good morning," she replied. A smile of her own gracing her lips.

"Ready to show me your skills on horseback?" Luke jested but a burst of excitement coursed through her.

"Yes."

She stretched her arms over her head and pointed her toes, doing her morning stretches. She grabbed the dressing gown she had discarded in the night, tying the sash she turned to Luke. He removed the linen shirt he wore to sleep and she watched as the muscles in his back rippled at the motion. The same foreign shiver returned and this time it went down to her stomach.

"Do you have riding clothes?" He asked, still turned away from her and rummaging through a drawer.

It took her a moment to respond and when she did she grimaced at her stammer.

"Y-yes, in my chamber."

He pulled a shirt over his head and she watched his shoulders flex as the fabric covered his physique. She wanted to rest her hand against the muscle and feel as he moved. He turned around and smiled, oblivious to her lewd thoughts.

"Come down to the stables. I will get our mounts ready."

She nodded and before he could notice the tint of her cheeks, she slipped out of his chambers and up to her own. Closing the heavy door behind her, she leaned against the cool wood.

What was happening to her?

Quickly stepping out of her night gown, she slipped her legs through her riding pants and pulled the tunic and vest over her head. Tightening the leather closures of her vest, she could feel every fibre of the fabric against her skin. Her breasts were sensitive to every brush of linen and when she tightened the vest, it felt constricting for the first time in her life.

Splashing cold water on her face, she looked at her reflection. Her hazel eyes looked darker and her skin was perpetually flushed. Leaning over the dish, she breathed in and out.

Luke was waiting for her. He wore dark navy riding pants and a crips white linen shirt with a matching navy vest. The leather closures were left loose so the small expanse of skin at his collar was visible. She gulped.