𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 - 𝐍𝐎 𝐌𝐀𝐍 𝐋𝐄𝐅𝐓 𝐁𝐄𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐃

Cleo.
Surgical Ward.
12:21

"No way you performed a cholecystectomy with him? Seems like you had a hell of an adventure while I've been here signing pre-op orders," Rose explains as the two of us walk down the hallway.

I smile to myself as I played with my small Rubik's cube. I didn't want her to think Dr. Jackson was neglecting his other students for me. My hands constantly twisted and switch up the colors of the rows and columns as I injected,

"If it makes you feel any better, Dr. Jackson probably will assign you to assist him on a surgery. Many of his old students said it's something he does a lot."

Our clogs scuffled against the floors as Rose sighs, "Was he nice? I don't have the strength to deal with another bitchy nurse or attending." My eyes looked up to the rubix's cube and towards her direction, "There's a reason he's the best. He's impatient and stubborn at times, but I think...it's just because he takes it so seriously. As long as you put in the effort, you should be fine. He seemed alright with my progress so far. Unfortunately, I will say he asked a lot of questions."

Instantly, she stopped walking before asking nervously, "Q-questions?"

I shrugged while smiling, "Intrusive ones. Like 'should he have angularity when making a particular incision? How he should pack off a particular organ?' I think he wants to test our confidence as well as clinical judgment. He's trying to understand our mindset."

She stretches her arms into the air before yawning, "I guess so. I can't believe we have about thirty hours left on call." I roll my eyes, slightly irritated at the thought, before scoffing,

"Don't remind me. I have charts to complete."

Michael.
Ambulance Bay.
12:34

My teeth instantly sunk into the sweet ruby red apple as I sat on the iron bench in front of the ambulance bay opening.

Unexpectedly, today was a slow day, minus the mass casualty incident this morning. I had a couple of brief procedures to attend to, but overall, my interns should have the little things covered.

"You're a doctor, and you're trying to keep yourself away for a while?" a familiar mellow-toned voice asked.

I turn around to notice Lisa with a bowl filled with salad in her hand as I roll my eyes before answer her sarcastically, "Haha, very funny." She sits on the bench beside me as I wrap my arm around her shoulders, which allowed her to scoot closer to me.

"I'm happy you remembered our little lunch date, mister. It surprised me to see you sitting out here."

"Slow day in the OR," I answered before pecking her cheek as I watch her stab the plastic fork into the layers of lettuce. She eats the lettuce from the fork quietly as I already sensed some tension between us. "How's that preemie going for you?" I asked.

"He's still alive. It's a miracle. He was supposed to be gone hours ago because he refuses to stop breathing...Michael, you sure we can't intubate him or something?" she asks in uncertainty.

I shake my head disappointedly before sighing, "He's just too small, my love." Our tension subsided as she rests her head rest against my shoulder. However, I look down at her salad, noticing the slices of strawberries. "You put strawberries in there?" I blurt out, trying to shift the conversation to something more positive.