26

It's a long one

...

Amelia

I can tell that Harry feels nervous as we wait in the waiting room of my therapist's office. His knee bounces uncontrollably and he keeps twisting the rings on his fingers. 

Reaching over, I place a hand on Harry's thigh. He looks over at me, cracking a small smile but it doesn't quite reach his eyes. 

"Are you okay?" I hesitantly ask him. 

He nods, his unruly curls bouncing in the process. 

"Yeah, just a little anxious," he responds. 

I open my mouth to offer him some sort of comfort words, but before I can, Maggie appears from her doorway leading into the waiting room. 

"Amelia. Harry. I'm ready for you, if you are," she says. 

She smiles kindly at us while we stand up from the white couch we were sat on. I make sure to grab Harry's hand in mine and squeeze it while whispering a quiet, "it'll be okay" to him before we follow Maggie into her office. 

I haven't been here in a couple of weeks because of Harry's return, and then of course my injury. I almost hate to admit this, but I've missed it. It's been nice to talk to Harry about everything, but therapy is different. I can't explain why since I want to be able to have these deep talks with Harry as well as Maggie, but I think it's the advice that's being offered in return. Maggie offers an unbiased point of view, as well as her professional opinion, and that's something I think that I need. I also think it will benefit mine and Harry's relationship. 

Maggie takes a seat in a grey colored chair across from Harry and I, who sit in similar chairs that are pushed closer together. I go to release Harry's hand so that we can get situated, but he desperately clings to mine, refusing to let me go. 

I wonder why he's so nervous? 

Maybe I'm just desensitized to therapy since I've been going for a little while now. 

"I'm glad to see you're okay, Amelia," Maggie says. She pulls down a pair of glasses that were perched in her curly hair and rests them on the bridge of her nose. "I was a little concerned when I heard the news of your accident."

I smile at her. 

"Thank you," I reply. "I definitely feel better. My concussion is practically gone and my cheekbone is healing nicely. The bruising and swelling is also minimal. My doctor gave me some medication to help with it."

"Good, I'm glad. And you certainly look okay to me, if it means anything. There's barely any discoloration," Maggie says. 

Makeup, I think, but I opt not to comment on it. 

Maggie turns her attention to Harry this time, smiling warmly at him. Then she sticks out a hand, to which he accepts with his free one, and shakes. 

"It's a pleasure to finally get to meet you, Harry. I'm Maggie, Amelia's therapist," she introduces herself. 

Harry smiles politely back, somewhat forced but I'm assuming that's from nerves. 

"It's nice to meet you, too," he stiffly responds. 

"I'm glad that you were able to come in today. Typically I don't offer couples counseling but I was willing to make an exception since Amelia is one of my clients," Maggie responds. "Have you ever been to therapy before, Harry?" 

I'm half expecting him to say no but he slowly nods. 

"Not regularly or anything, but I've been a couple times," he responds.