CHAPTER I

Thud.

The black rubber shopping bags filled with trash escape my sore fingers to fall into the garbage can. With a heavy sigh, I close its lid and push my back to straighten it out as one or two cracks could be heard even though I am not that aged and only 20 years old. Despite being in my early ages of young adulthood, here I was, working three diverse part time jobs to make ends meet so that I won't die or more exactly, I don't get kicked out of my apartment. Possessing no education except attending first half of high school, part time jobs was all that I could do to make my living.

"Kate!"

Brushing off the dirt from my calloused hands, I straighten my cap before turning around to the person that called my name.

"Kate, Katherine, there you are. Did you finish taking out the trash?"

"Yes."

I obediently replied to the longtime manager of the gourmet restaurant where I was currently working at. My name is Katherine Wilson. But most often familiar people address me as Kate, which I don't mind. And my manager here would refer to me as both.

"Good work. You can go home then. See you tomorrow."

She said politely while her stern aura stayed firm.

Nodding at her, I instantly take my leave after saying a small good bye.

After changing my clothes at the staff room, I stand outside the local restaurant looking at the watch on my wrist.

There's still an hour in my next part-time job.

My stomach grumbled as I observed the people around me walking here and there. Some were traditionally working while others were hanging out with their dear friends or families.

Some nostalgic images flash through my mind as I narrow my eyes and grit my teeth reminding myself about how this is not the time to think about the past.

Taking a deep breath and ignoring my hunger, I turn my feet towards the nearby local library. It was the near end of January making it cold. Especially when it was forecasted to snow today. For a few months, I had been going to that public library since it was centrally air-conditioned and heated, naturally making me warm in this chilly weather. It was way better than sitting outside for an hour waiting for my subsequent shift.

Upon reaching the said destination, I head inside to my suitable spot. I declared it my spot because it was secluded and was the place where I would sit every day.

I could not go to my house since it was far away from here, and the reason I could not go to eat lunch even though it was lunch time was because I retained no money. Also, the reason why there is little to no grocery at my home and I could not prepare lunch for myself. It's all because I am saving money to pay for my apartment's rent. Maybe I should look for another part time job? It's not like I can't live without sleep...But I do love to sleep. I already regret how I only get to sleep for 3-4 hours maximumly. Groaning, I obscure my face in my arms until I observe someone secretly glaring at me. I already identified who it was therefore expressing my best business smile, I turn to look at her and wave politely. The library's attendant flinches in return and scoffs while looking elsewhere.

Look's like she still doesn't like me ever since I sneaked in food into the library. It was a hot summer's day, possibly the most humid day of them all. All the benches outside were like hot iron, even the ones that were under a shade. It felt as if I was going to melt away like an ice cream. Hence, to save myself from becoming liquid, I came to the library during my break. And since I was famished, I sneaked in food as well. But I couldn't eat it because the attendant whose nose is sharp, kept roaming around me while sniffing trying to find where the delicious food's smell was coming from. It was exceedingly distressing and uncomfortable. She only left after I had asked her whether she farted. She replied no to which I intentionally lied and smilingly remarked that maybe it was me. She looked at me with evident disgust and ultimately left me alone since I had hinted about her sniffing my fake fart, which is weird to her but funny to me.