6 | Fictional Love Playlists

Sincerely, Mysterious is a round one ONC qualifier!!!

This chapter is dedicated to crossing that milestone, all readers who support this book through votes, comments, shares and reading list adds, and SAM SMITH---you will understand why♡

For the maximum experience while reading this chapter, listen to 'Oasis' by Sam Smith after the scene change and be immersed directly in what my babies feel! I wanted to add the youtube video above, but wattpad doesn't let me for some reason :,)

Trying not to tear up while the world passed me by was harder than I thought. The bell went off, and broke the thick tension that came after Isabella's proclamation---the one where she passed me a curious look, as though she was trying to see if I was the one whose alter ego she just stole, to see if I would react in any way.

Maybe I should have, but it was already too late now that everyone was in motion.

I had the chance. I didn't grab it. Isabella did. It was that simple. It was that painful.

And that pain intensified in my chest when Parker glanced back at me before he walked away with her by his side, her hand grasped in his. His features were arranged in a small smile that seemed to say, "Better luck next time."

I had no idea whether there would be a next time, and I didn't have better luck come my way---not even in Algebra and History. I was in the former class with Isabella McCarthy, and even though I tried my best to concentrate, being asked to find the 'x' in every single equation wasn't the best thing. It hit too close to home---I never figured math would ever have me want to tear my hair out at the thought of finding an ex I never had, and wishing desperately to remove 'y' from the equation. 'Y' was in McCarthy. 'Y' was what I kept asking myself the entire period.

Why did she do it? Why didn't I speak up? Why had she lied even after I begged her with my eyes not to? Why was I beating myself up over it instead of confronting her? Why was I listening to the exchange between her and that other girl with the gap in her teeth? The one where they giggled and laughed and one planned to tell the other whatever happened?

But that class eventually passed, and weirdly, the motivation to get rid of that cursed variable had me scoring pretty high in the test we took.

My head swam through the extensive talk of dead people and how they shaped society into what it was now, and History was History pretty quickly.

Usually, I looked forward to Lunch. I sat with Micky, Anashi and Akio, a table away from where Parker usually sat with his friends. He wasn't there today. And Isabella wasn't at her table either.

I tried not to think anything of it while I bit into one of the oatmeal cupcakes I brought. Just because they both weren't there didn't mean they were together, right?