19"

Flashback Zenevieva's Seventh Year

Flashback
Zenevieva's Seventh Year

Zenevieva embraced Regulus in her arms as silent tears ran down his face, they sheltered from the pelting rain, from the grumbling dark clouds in the sky above. Standing below the quidditch stand, she tried to comfort him.

"I don't want to be one of them" Regulus muttered into Zenevievas shoulder

"Just because we've got their brand Reg doesn't mean we're one of them now" she comforted

"It does! I don't want to be a death eater!"

"It's okay. I'll protect you, both of us" Zenevieva hushed, "Tom won't hurt us"

"Don't say him name!"

"Regulus please, everything will work out fine"

"Do you Promise?"

"I do"

"But Zene I don't want to follow him" Regulus begged, "I can't, I can't leave like my brother did"

"It's okay, it's all okay" Zenevieva said watching the dark marks contort on the teenagers forearms

Their silence was interrupted as Lily and the marauders came running onto the Quidditch pitch, shouting and laughing as they twirled in the rain, letting it soak through their clothes and drench their hair.

James spun Lily around, twirling her around the pitch while Sirius, Remus and Peter shoved each other and laughed when the other nearly slipped in the mud.

Zenevieva and Regulus watched them quietly. They all looked so free, so happy, so careless, dancing under the rolling clouds and pouring rain, slipping in the mud and jumping straight back up smeared in dirt and grass. Their faces were pulled into large grins, their eyes twinkling with happiness, liberation and exhilaration.

James looked jovial with Lily Evans in his arms, twirling her around on the rain while his best friends laughed around him. That was all Zenevieva would of asked for; for him to be happy. She could never hate Lily Evans. She was the kindest, sweetest, smartest girl she'd ever laid her eyes on. She could never blame James for loving Lily Evans.

Because Lily Evans was meant to be with James Potter.

They were the true definition of soulmates.

And she could understand it.

She just wished it wasn't like that, yet the universe loves cruel twists of fate.

She knew he wasn't her soulmate, but James Potter made her not want to meet them, because James Potter was enough.

He was more than enough for her.

He wasn't hers to lose, but she lost him, and in the process lost a piece of herself as well.

"You're staring at Potter" Regulus spoke up, not tearing his eyes away from his brother

"You're staring at your brother" Zenevieva replied

Both teenagers sighed, detaching their longing gazes away from the people they wished to be.

Regulus took Zenevievas hand, "let's not torture ourselves with the impossible"

"James?" Lily laughed as she watched James come to a standstill in the rain, watching two figures retreat up to the castle, "James?..." she repeated sidling up to him.

Lily just stood next to him, watching his eyes follow Zenevieva and Regulus until they disappeared out of view.

She placed a hand on his shoulder making him turn around, "do you still love Zenevieva?"

James blinked a few times, ridding the raindrops that hung onto the ends of his eyelashes, "I love you"  he replied

"You're not answering my question" Lily sighed

"Come on" James said as he forced a smile, "we've only got a few weeks left before we leave. Let's make the most of it"

Zenevieva and Regulus sat in the library, watching the raindrops roll down the old pane glass windows .

"Will you be okay next year Reg?" Zenevieva asked

"I'll be fine" Regulus replied, "really. I might not even be returning for my seventh year"

"Why not?"

"Well I've got to help you haven't I ?"

"I don't want you to put yourself before me Regulus"

"But I'll always put myself before you Zenevieva, that's what friends do"