Chapter 9 : "too good to be true"

You can think that you're in love,

when you're just in pain.

- Moral of the Story : Ashe

The next day, I woke up in the guest room. I freshened up in the guest bathroom before heading to the kitchen. I could smell pancakes, yum!

I looked to see him in a loose black shirt and grey sweatpants. I cleared my throat to make my presence known trying not to be affected by his appearance. He turned to look at me, his hair messy, making him look more attractive.

"Good morning! Pancakes?" He asked.

"Mmm, morning yeah." I said, while sipping from the cup of coffee I just poured.

As he placed the pancakes on my plate, he wished me happy birthday once more. I thanked him and my heart honestly burst in happiness, it was nice spending time like this with him, back then I didn't see him as more than just a friend, but now, it was different, I've definitely fallen for him. How do I know this? My heart rate doesn't lie, that's for sure.

And then my short-lived happiness ended.

"Babe, hey! Hi, Echo. Happy birthday." I heard Sierra's voice as she entered the kitchen.

"Thanks Sierra. Y-you missed school too?" I asked

"Yeah, I came to see you both. Thought we could hang out together," she smiled, walking towards Levi and kissing him on his cheek.

"Good morning, babe. I'm gonna go freshen up." He greeted her then turned to me to ask me, "Echo, anywhere you wanna go?"

"No, erm it's okay, I think I'm gonna walk home, I've got to prepare some things before graduation."

He looked at me for a while before firmly saying, "Alright, wait for me here, I'll send you home."

I nodded and as he went upstairs to freshen up, I was left alone with the one and only Heather, I mean Sierra.

"So, who's your date to prom?" She asked.

"Erm, I don't think I'll be going." I said softly. I was in fact, not going at all, for two reasons. The first reason being I was leaving to Paris that night and Layla decided we have a girls night together on graduation night as graduation was just a day before prom. The second reason being, I didn't have a date and neither did Layla, after her breakup with Tyler. God knows what that guy is doing now. All I know was that Tyler's moving out of the country pretty soon, just like me, but I didn't know where.

"Oooh why? 'Cause Levi's my date?" She asked sarcastically while observing her nails.

"What? No, I wasn't planning to go with him anyways." I answered. This was the first time I've heard Sierra being so sarcastic, she's usually really nice and there wasn't an edge to her tone ever. I guess we can never really predict someone's character. No matter how nice someone is, there's always a demon hiding in them. And for the first time, I saw Sierra's demons peeking out.

"Interesting. I thought you wanted to go with him, with all the words you've written in the letter to him, you should be a damn screenwriter hahaha." She mockingly said.

"What are you implying, Sierra? I know what you read in the letter, and yes, it's true, I like him but he likes you and I'm not going to come in between of that. He loves you, Sierra and you have no idea how envious I am of you that he loves you, so please...please love him more than he loves you, because he... he deserves more than just the world." I said breathlessly.

"He keeps talking about you." She stated bluntly.

"What?"

"I don't like that he keeps talking about you when he's with me, he talks about you like you're the only girl in his world, and I'm, well, I'm just there, as his girlfriend. He's with me physically, but mentally, you're all that's there."

"W-what? What the hell are you talking about?" I asked taken aback. I was honestly confused, what does she mean by that, he doesn't like me, he never will, he made that clear years ago.

"We're friends. Just friends. We can't cross that line, you know we can't." He told me.

A few years ago, I asked him what were to happen if we dated in the future and his answer was this. He said it instantly in fact, making me think, we really have no chance whatsoever. When I asked him this question, it was meant in a playful manner, I didn't have feelings for him back then. But now, as I think back to that day, it was obvious, he didn't want anything to do with me other than just being friends.

So what Sierra was saying did not make any sense, whatsoever.

By the time she could answer, Levi came down, looked at us weirdly, until Sierra decided to break the awkward silence.

"So, let's send Echo home first, babe, then go to my place, you've got to help me choose what dress I should wear to prom."

He nodded, taking his car keys, and when we reached my house, he got down from the car.

"Echo," he said.

"Yeah?" I turned to him, fumbling with my house keys.

He paused for a while, before taking out a box from his pocket, "For you. Happy birthday, Echo. I got this when I bought Sierra's one. This one reminded me of you. I-I know you don't really like bracelets, but I hope this one's okay."

I took it from his palm, and smiled happily at him, "Levi, you didn't have to, you've already done so much for me. Th-thank you, I appreciate it."

He smiled back, "See you tomorrow, Echo."

"See you, Levi."

As I entered my house, watching his car drive away, I thought about Sierra's words.

I opened the box to see the bracelet, it was beautiful, really beautiful. It was not as huge and flashy as Sierra's but it was a simple one with stars.

Maybe we could have happened, but yet it felt too good to be true