Chapter 14: The Weapons Known as Shinobi

"Naruto-kun, I want you to kill me."

        Naruto took a trembling step backward. Haku took one forward.

        "Saa, please, make it quick."

        Naruto didn't answer, only scowling at the boy in front of him. 

        "What are you hesitating for?"

        He stumbled back a few feet before lurching forward to scream at Haku. "I just don't get it, dattebayo! The only reason you are allowed to live is because you stay strong?"

        Haku stayed silent, a pleasant smile still on his lips.

        "There must be something other than just fighting... There must be some other way for you to make others accept you!"

        "Remember when we met at the forest? Do you know what I thought? That you and I are much alike."

        Naruto's breath hitched at the word of the brown-eyed boy.

        "I'm sure you could relate to me. I apologize for dirtying your hands with my blood."

        "Is that it?" Naruto asked, his voice coming out as a whisper. "Is there really no other way?"

        "Hai." 

        Naruto's eyes burned with anger, and he squeezed his eyes shut in despair. "If only... we had met under different circumstances, we could've been friends."

        His eyes snapped open, filled with a mix of determination and agony. He rushed forward, pulling a kunai out of his pouch. He yelled at the top of his lungs as he quickly approached Haku. The black-haired boy simply stood there awaiting his fate, his eyes fluttering shut. 

        Suddenly, the sound of a thousand chirping birds filled the air, causing Haku to open his eyes in a hurry. Just as Naruto reached him, he grabbed the blonde boy's wrist, stopping him in his tracks. 

        "Gomen'nasai, Naruto-kun..." Haku formed a few one-handed seals. "I cannot die yet!"

        He pushed Naruto off and disappeared from his spot. Your eyes flashed gold as you struggled to move. However, your limbs were still disabled. 

        The heavy mist that had settled over the bridge during the battle was lifted due to a shockwave, leaving the gruesome sight for all to see. Kakashi had his Chidori impaled through Haku's chest, who was standing protectively in front of Zabuza. Blood splattered everywhere. Everyone stared at the sight, horrified. 

        You were the first to break the silence.

        "Haku!" you screamed, straining to move your arms and legs. 

        The light from Kakashi's Chidori faded. Haku's head slumped forward, gripping Kakashi's blood-coated hand which rested on his chest.

        "Z-Zabuza-san..." Haku managed to choke out. He gave Kakashi's hand one final squeeze before going limp. 

        "Did you say my future was death?" Zabuza mocked your sensei. He chuckled. "You're off the mark again, Kakashi!" He laughed again. "You did great, Haku."

        Kakashi narrowed his eyes at Zabuza's nonchalance. The rogue nin yelled, swinging Kubirikibocho at both the Jounin and the dead boy. 

        "Kakashi-sensei!" Sakura cried. 

        "That was a really great find I made!" Zabuza exclaimed as he brought his sword down to slash the two. "Even in his final moment, he gave me such a perfect opportunity!"