✹seventeen✹

It was a month later that they left for Casterly Rock with Tyrion. Tywin was still the hand and thus stayed in King's Landing, managing the affairs of his lands from the capital. Tyrion was too young to stay in the castle by himself all day and without Jaime to look after him, Tywin was out of options. Cersei was forced to stay. Tywin wanted her to be seen by as many lords as possible. He needed a marriage set up for her soon.

The transition from the Red Keep to Casterly Rock was smooth and easy for Rhena. The household already knew and adored her, having spent many summers there with the twins.

Genna Lannister, Tywin's sister, had been managing the castle since Lady Joanna had died. The aging yet elegant woman took it upon herself to mentor Rhena in the ways of the Lannister house that had yet to be learned. Rhena found the older woman enjoyable when she wasn't nagging on her to have a baby.

A year passes quickly. Rhena had taken over almost all the rolls of Lady Lannister and the people loved her. She was known throughout the land as the lady of gold and silver, as golden as her riches and as silver as her hair. She sowed her kindness into the lands of the west and the twinkling bay of Lannisport.

Tywin's Letters became impatient. Though he was still lord and Jaime would inherit Casterly Rock should the man die. He needed the stability that he had craved since his ascend into lordship and wanted it quickly.

Rhena became impatient as well. Her ladies assured her that it would be alright and she would soon have a hoard of golden crowned children and soon after grandchildren would follow. They told her that years from now her and Jaime would laugh over how worried they were.

Rhena was thankful for the women who had accompanied her from King's Landing. Tywin thought the transition would flow far more smoothly if Rhena were to have people that she knew around her. Lyanna had not made the trip west. She had wanted to go back north with her brothers to meet Brandon's betrothed, Catelyn Tully. Her remaining ladies even chose to bring their families with them to start a life in Lannisport. Wrowen, one of her closest friends and head maid, had brought her brothers and children to live in a nice little sea house by the bay.

Though the princess was usually fawned over and ogled at by the servants and maids, she was alone now, walking down a vast hall by herself. The hallway was the Hall of House.

White arches branched up and towered above her in the most beautiful stonework that Rhena had ever seen, leading to a high ceiling with paintings dating back to the first lord of Casterly Rock. The floor was of polished black marble and her footsteps echoed through the whole floor, alerting anyone who was already there. Huge oil paintings lined the walls and countless women in red watched her as she made her way down the cavernous space. There were only small windows at the top to let in air and most of the light came from torches. Their flickering light shone on the long passed Ladies of Lannister house, making them look as if they were moving; ghosts of a house so great that even the grave could not hold their spirits.

Rhena did not fear ghosts, nor did she fear the dancing shadows. The thing she feared most was disappointing the women of the mighty name Lannister. It was a mighty name indeed and only a woman as mighty as the name could carry it.

The princess slowed as she rounded the corner. She was reaching the end of her journey. Rhena stopped in front of the last two, letting herself bathe in the painted purple and green of the familiar woman's eyes. Her and Joanna, side by side. They wore the same dress as was tradition and their frames were magnificent things, designed solely to fit the woman and her preferences.

Joanna's was fashioned in the shapes of cloths and needles for her favorite pastime and carnations which were widely known as her favorite flower. Four lions sat protectively in the corner, and three golden hands above her head, forming a crown for Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion. Her legacy would live on with them.