17.) Stay...Away

Cal

"There are moments in life when it is all turned inside out--what is real becomes unreal, what is unreal becomes tangible, and all your levelheaded efforts to keep a tight ontological control are rendered silly and indulgent

"There are moments in life when it is all turned inside out--what is real becomes unreal, what is unreal becomes tangible, and all your levelheaded efforts to keep a tight ontological control are rendered silly and indulgent."

- Aleksandar Hemon, The Lazarus Project

"Can you hear me now?" Four asked me, I take in a breath and nod. "He tried to hang me." I said barely above a whisper, he looked at me and I covered my face with both hands, I did not want to cry in front of him. "I'm sorry." He said, I inhaled deeply and I moved my hands away.

"Why did he do that? Did I hurt him in some type of way?" I asked Four, I stood up from his bed and walked over to his balcony. I could hear him following behind me and I sit down leaning the side of my body on the railing.

"You didn't hurt him...You scared him." He answered and sat in front of me, he looked out to the city and I sighed. "You really should let me clean that." He said moving my hair away from my face, I flinched and he put his hands up. "I'm sorry." He apologized, I looked out to the city and blinked. "No matter how I hard I try, there's always someone wanting to take me down." I pointed out, I bit my upper lip and shrugged.

"Funniest thing is...They will try to do that again." I added then looked at Four who was already looking at me.

"They won't." He assured me, I raised my brow at him and licked my lips. "How can you be sure of that?" I asked him, he cleared his throat and pointed his finger to me. "They know you are a fighter, you'll be in more alert than usual. Besides, I'll be watching over you as well." He answered with a small smile, I shook my head and chuckled. "What? So, you're going be my shadow?" I asked him jokingly, he smiled and nodded.

"Yes. Now come on, we need to clean you up." He said standing up, I nodded and stood up.

I followed him back inside and he gestured me to sit on his bed, I sat on the edge and he brought a bowl with water along with his first aid kit. He kneeled in front of me and gently grabbed my hand, he then dabbed the cuts on my knuckles with the wet cloth and I watched him as he aided me.

"How did you hear me?" I asked him curiously. "Like, how did I see a group of guys trying to kill you?" He questioned and I nodded. "I was walking, I-" He cut himself off and he inhaled deeply. "I couldn't sleep, so I went out for a walk and that's when I heard the commotion." He answered then glanced up at me. "Care to tell me why you were up at night?" He asked, I cleared my throat and smiled.

"I was up knife throwing, you know, since I'm terrible at it." I answered, he chuckled and shook his head. "What?" I asked him.