54- A Single Cut

[[I DO NOT own the music. My eyeshadow fingers  huuuuurt! But you guys deserve this 😌. I'm so sorry if this is trash I usually have weeks to go over a single chapter, but I didn't want you to wait any longer. I'm a trash updater I know, but hey at least it's not a hiatus lmao. Anyway, truly, I hope you enjoy this chapter! I love you guy! - L RANDY]]

It was a warm afternoon, a slight coastal breeze sweeping through the air just enough to cool the citizens of Hinda. Palm Trees rustled in the wind, the chittering of native animals lit up the ambiance of the forest, and the scent of sea spray was as refreshing as the view. Hinda was a kingdom away from Ekapan, sharing similar weather but opposing in the atmosphere. It was smaller, a bit more relaxed, and much more meant for nobles seeking a place to get away.

Though the environment invited that of pleasure and leisure, a particular brooding man cared nothing of it.

He was stationed just behind a seaside prison, wiping away an ominous crimson droplet from the lens of his spectacles. The fourth on a long, stressful trek through each kingdom under or allying with Taycia.

He needed a break, and the only place without prying eyes was the very back of the prison. Even then, if a wandering guard came around the corner, the sight of the Holy General was enough to justify turning on their heel and retreating.

His mood worsened with each futile unturned stone, useless interrogations, and paths that did not lead him to his princess. He would say he wanted to give up, but the thought only made his fury boil over. Giving up was not an option, giving up was a failure, and failure meant never seeing those honey-brown eyes looking at him ever again. So, he forged on all this time, losing a bit of himself along the way, telling himself all will be alright once Alana is standing beside him again. He needed everything to be alright.

Silas stood alone now, fighting the urge to collapse into tears as he replaced his glasses on his face, pushing them neatly up the bridge of his slim nose. The only thing that stopped him from crying completely was the fact he was in public, though hidden from sight, he could not risk his reputation so easily.

Instead, in an attempt to encourage himself he opened the left side of his uniform's jacket to have a peek at the colorful badges. A variety bouquet of embroidered flowers of every shade anyone could think of. Some were loose and choppy and some with done so beautifully they could the royal tailor a run for her money.

Silas had painstakingly removed each and every badge from his last jacket and sewed them into this one, careful not to jeopardize the integrity of a single, threaded petal.

His princess sewed them in before, in the dead of night while he slept so he would wake to a new addition. In the beginning, he found it annoying and disrespectful to deface the interior of his uniform, but he could never find it in him to remove the flowers. Some nights he would stay awake waiting for his chamber door to creak open and the soft patter of feet sneak into his room. He would listen closely as his jacket was removed from his hanger and the soft 'ow' that periodically came when she would prick herself.

A soft smile found its way onto his features at the memory, yet it was quickly replaced with a scowl.

She left... she is gone. I cannot find her, these useless guards cannot find her, and that stupid Mamoru will not tell me where she is. If I ever cross paths with that damn fox again, I will cut him down.

"That stupid, useless fox..." Silas muttered to himself with hatred, closing the breast of his jacket.

"I hope you don't mean me," A smug voice chimed to his right. "Because that would really hurt my feelings, Si."