ii | the tears of uther pendragon pt. ii

"i could see it on your face in the council chambers. you don't agree with my decision."

[3.2 — The Tears of Uther Pendragon pt. 2]

The morning went on and Merlin remained absent, which worried Gaius and Lia

The morning went on and Merlin remained absent, which worried Gaius and Lia. They were both too busy to go off and search for him and could only hope that he was not in any danger. Though he'd certainly still be in danger when he returned because he would have to face Arthur's wrath.

Halfway into the day, the Prince had stormed into the physician chambers absolutely furious. "Where is that half-wit?" he demanded.

"Merlin?" Gaius questioned as if the clarification was needed.

"I've got no socks, no breeches, and an archery session to go to," Arthur complained, stalking over to the closed door to Merlin and Lia's chambers. "Merlin!"

"I thought he was with you, Sire," Gaius said.

"Don't try and cover for him," Arthur said, pointing a finger at him.

For a moment, Lia thought of saying that Merlin was at the tavern, as that excuse had worked before, but decided against it. "He's not covering," she said, frowning. "He didn't come home last night. We can't find him."

Arthur sighed, some of his anger fading as he looked at Lia. But he still needed his servant. "When you do, you can tell him he's the target."

Gaius and Lia shared a look as Arthur stormed out of the physician chambers. "He is going to be in so much trouble," Lia muttered, stirring the potion she was working on. "He owes me for not saying he's at the tavern."

| | |

Meanwhile, Merlin was finally waking up. After the attack from the Serkets, he spent most of the day resting and healing as Kilgharrah watched over him. When he saw how high in the sky the sun was, he began to worry about what more harm Morgana could have caused in his absence.

"You shouldn't have let me sleep," he said.

"I had no choice, young warlock. The venom was too strong, even for your great powers," Kilgharrah told him.

Merlin scrambled to his feet, ignoring his wound that still hurt. "I don't have time. I need to get back to Camelot. The kingdom is in danger and... it's my fault. I should've listened to you. Should never have trusted Morgana."

"You did what you felt was right, and that shows great courage, but trust is a double-edged sword."

"I thought because she has magic, I thought we were the same," Merlin muttered, then he sighed. "I thought Lia could be right about her, but we are not the same."

"In some ways you are," the dragon said.

"No," he said, shaking his head. "I will never be like her."