v | the changeling

"fight for us, damn it!"

[3.5 — The Changeling]

A young Illyria Lytar, at only eight years old, had managed to wrangle her way out of the arms of her maid, Eleanor

A young Illyria Lytar, at only eight years old, had managed to wrangle her way out of the arms of her maid, Eleanor. With bare feet, she ran from the palace and out to the streets of Lórien, somehow getting past all the guards stationed. It wasn't that the Princess was forbidden from leaving, but a child certainly had no business running around a busy town all on her own.

Illyria found herself in the markets, marveling at all the beautiful things in the stalls that she was not quite tall enough to see completely — but the glimpses of pretty necklaces and silky garments were enough to hold her attention for a long time. She wandered around, taking mental notes of all the things she wanted to buy once she returned with one of her parents when they weren't busy.

After a few moments of wandering, she was interrupted by an older man that she didn't realize. However, he had a handful of lilies and tulips in his hand.

"Ah, a flower for Lórien's flower," the man said, stopping her. Illyria grinned brightly as he knelt down and placed a red tulip in her hair, tucking it behind her ear.

"Thank you so much, Sir," she told him.

The man stood straighter and smiled down at her before continuing on. However, he only made it about two steps before a hand grabbed his shoulder, forcing him to stop. Lia didn't notice how the man tensed up and eyed the King fearfully as she grinned excitedly up at her father.

"Father, look! This nice man gave me a flower," she said, pointing to the tulip in her hair proudly.

"I see that, Illyria. However, do you notice something missing from your hair?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. His grip on the man tightened, who winced under the hold. Florian glared fiercely at him while Illyria ran her hands through her hair. After a moment, her eyes widened in realization.

"My headband is missing," she said, frowning. Then she looked around the ground, thinking it must have fallen out. "I have to go find it. King Godwyn sent it to me for my birthday last year."

"I have already found it," Florian said, not taking his eyes off the man who was fearfully looking at the ground. "Return my daughter's headband."

With shaky hands, the man reached into his coat pocket. As he removed the headband embedded with emeralds, Illyria realized what had happened. When giving her the flower, he had swiped the headband from her head. It likely would've been hours before she realized it was missing if her father hadn't been wandering the streets at the same time.

"Thank you," Lia muttered, slowly taking the headband back. She clutched it tightly to make sure it was not taken again.

Florian did not yet release the thief. "You are aware that stealing is punishable by death in all six kingdoms, yes?" he asked in a low tone. "I do not take kindly to vile snakes who prey on the innocent — especially my daughter."