xi | the sorcerer's shadow

| so, i cut out the queen of hearts episode and replaced it with my long ass original chapter. however, i did sprinkle in a few bits of it |

"camelot has been my home for many years now, and i hope it will continue to be for many years to come."

[3.11 — The Sorcerer's Shadow]

Lia was woken very suddenly by the curtains in her room being thrown open, the sunlight pouring it

Lia was woken very suddenly by the curtains in her room being thrown open, the sunlight pouring it. She groaned and rolled over, shoving her head in the pillow.

"Good morning, My Lady," an unfamiliar voice greeted.

She quickly sat up and rubbed her tired eyes, spotting the stranger in her room. There was a young girl who could be no older than fifteen standing near Lia's bed with her hands clasped in front of her. A tray of breakfast had been sat on the table. The girl had long, straight, red hair that was braided back and wore a simple-looking green dress. There was a bright and almost excited smile on her face.

"Morning," Lia mumbled, confused by the girl's presence. "What are you doing in my chambers?"

"The King has appointed me as your new handmaiden," she explained.

"Oh, but I told Uther I have no need for a maidservant," she said, shaking her head. "Really, I can take care of myself."

"The King insisted," she said. "With the tournament that is happening, he wishes for you to want for nothing."

Internally, Lia pouted. The upcoming tournament was going to be Lia's first public appearance as Princess Illyria Lytar, where Uther would no doubt parade her around on his arm instead of letting her work with Gaius in the healing tent. But she did not voice her complaints and realized she was being rude.

"Oh, my, I've not even asked your name," Lia said, scrambling out of her bed. "How impolite of me."

"My name is Clement," she said, curtsying to her.

"There's no need for that," she told her, smiling softly. "And it is lovely to meet you, Clement. That's a beautiful name."

Clement's cheeks heated up from the compliment, making Lia think she was not used to them. "Thank you, My Lady, but your name is far lovelier."

"Tell me, how old are you?" Lia asked, studying her smaller frame.

"Fourteen."

"Ah, my friend Gwen was that age when she began serving for Lady Morgana," she said, smiling. She could see the excitement in Clement's eyes, as not many would be given the chance to serve a royal — Merlin was the exception. Not only that, but it was likely one of the best-paying jobs in the castle. "And now they are the best of friends. Perhaps you and I can be just as close."

"Really?" Clement asked, grinning brightly. "That would be an honor, My Lady."

"And you needn't call me that. If it is only us, you may call me Lia," she told her. Then she looked around her chambers, which really did not need cleaning. There was very little that Lia did not do on her own, but she supposed she could use Clement's help sometimes. Now that she did not share a room with Merlin, she'd occasionally need help to do a fastening on the back of a dress or maybe to take her dirty clothes to the launder.