- prologue -

┍━━━━━━━━━━━╝✤╚━━━━━━━━━━━┑
TWELVE YEARS BEFORE
IN ROME, ITALY.

┍━━━━━━━━━━━╝✤╚━━━━━━━━━━━┑TWELVE YEARS BEFOREIN ROME, ITALY

━━━━━━━ ✤ ━━━━━━━

The streets of Roma bustled in nightly celebration. From the roof terrace of an old building tucked away in the middle of St. Peter's square, Ottavia pulled the hood of her black coat over her head and secured the matching, obsidian-colored silk scarf up over her mouth and nose.

Summers in Italy were famously adored for their glimmering mornings in a heat haze and fragrant ocean breeze evenings. But it was the moonlit January winters like this one—when the capital city came alive for the weekend to celebrate the traditional festivities of l'Epifania—that would always remain unforgettable for her.

It was this night of celebration in the company of her father, that she chose to always remember.

The one that had taken place on her birthday a mere ten days later? Ottavia let that one lay long dead and buried. Just as she'd done with her father and all of the people who helped raise her in her old home in Sicily. Born ten days just after Epiphany, it had been the perfect night to celebrate her overall existence.

But what she was able to pass off as a joke now, whether it was thanks to years worth of added trauma, or the simple art of swallowing all feelings on her part— She wouldn't deny she spent a long time torturing herself over the murder of her entire family.

She wouldn't deny; the cruelest thing ever happened to her. A January's winter night that had only brought her life pain. That had poisoned her heart and killed her all the same. Because even though she had been the sole survivor of that assassination, Ottavia still showed up at the funeral days later. Dressed in all-black, as she mourned the loss of her family alongside the girl she was supposed to be.

Moved on to become a loyal Corvo, instead.

Ottavia took a last look at the parade happening below on her southwest corner, before walking to her stage mark on the northeast side of the square.

"Befana, on-site," she radioed her spotter, and there was nothing else but to simply wait after receiving confirmation.

━━━━━━━ ✤ ━━━━━━━

It wasn't long before her spotter radioed on through the earpiece in her right ear, "Befana, back entrance. One black sedan. Single male mark."

Ottavia took position, easing her finger around the rifle's trigger, as she directed her line of sight on the opera house's back entrance-doors, "Contact."

Once the scope reassured her a clear trajectory, she leaned in closer with her rifle and aimed at the glass double-doors of the building down below.

She held off another second as two bodyguards stepped outside first and stood at each side of the doors. Trajectory clear but no mark in sight, "Window on primary?"