- Chapter 14 -

TW// blood, death, [detailed] death guilt, collapsing cave

Grian's POV
Grian inhaled sharply, not daring to move a muscle.

"Take one step closer and your Watcher friend is dead," Sam said in a dark voice, glaring at Mumbo.

The Watcher looked at False, terrified. Impulse was crouching beside her, desperately trying to wake her up.

"Let him go," Mumbo said carefully, his gaze flicking between Sam and Grian.

"I won't let my plan be foiled by some lowlife server peasant," Sam snapped sourly, his voice dripping with venom.

Grian winced at the insult. Mumbo's hands twitched down toward his pocket, and he assumed he was trying to grab his communicator.

"Don't try and call for help," his captor warned, seeming to catch on as well. "They'll be too late, for all of you."
He shot a cold look at unconscious False and panicking Impulse. "And then I'll take Grian right out of this server back to where he belongs."

"You aren't taking him anywhere! Let him go!" Mumbo yelled, seeming to get desperate at this point.

Sam laughed, pressing the knife closer to Grian's neck. He stiffened, feeling suffocated and scared.

"How about we pay a friendly visit on Evo?" Sam offered. Grian froze, eyes wide. He began to hyperventilate, shaking.

"Stop it, Sam! Is this really worth it?" Mumbo held out his hands, uncertain. "We brought you in. We took care of you. We gave you a home-"

"Homish smomish, I don't care," Sam scoffed, rolling his eyes. "I already had a home, until it was ruined by a certain Watcher on this server."

Mumbo gave Grian an alarmed look. "With how you are, Sam, I'm pretty sure you ruined it yourself."

"You're walking on thin ice, hermit," Sam growled dangerously.

"You can't keep threatening us forever!" Mumbo exclaimed. At this point Grian could tell his mustached friend was trying to stall.

What was he waiting for though?

Sam barked a laugh. "You're right," he said with an evil grin. "I'll end this all now."

"NO!" Two people shouted at once.

Everything around Grian turned into a blur as he grabbed the dagger forcefully out of Sam's hand. He spread his wings, freeing himself, and turned around, plunging the sharp, iron-tipped dagger right into Sam's chest.

Pain blasted throughout his arm, which he ignored only for the time being. Sam swept him off his feet with a swift kick to his ankle.

Grian crumpled to the floor, and Sam pulled out the dagger from his chest, holding the wound. He looked to be getting weaker by the second, although his eyes were still blazing with fury.

"You.. bastard..." Sam growled weakly, trying to cut him but failing as he collapsed on the ground. Grian scrambled back, shaking.
The dying hybrid let out a wheezy laugh. "I already tainted this place with explosives and gas, you won't.. get.. away..."

He fell limp, the life finally drained from his eyes. Grian began hyperventilating, hardly paying attention to his words. He had just killed someone. He was as dangerous as everyone said.

"L-look- I-" Grian stammered, his throat closing up over any words he wanted to say.

Mumbo pulled him to his feet. His eyes were locked onto Sam's dead body.

"We gotta go!" Mumbo yelled. He whipped around to look at Impulse, who was trying desperately to pick up False. "Where's Iskall?!"

"I don't know!" Impulse yelped frantically. "I think he ran out!"

"He's probably getting help," Mumbo said thoughtfully. He hurried over to help Impulse pick up False.

Grian lost attention from them and crouched beside Sam's body. His chest hurt, and a bottomless pit was opening up in his stomach the longer he stared into his abusers dead eyes.

Sure, Sam had hurt him. He had used him for his own reasons, making every small aspect of his recent life a living hell.

But he had once been his friend. He had once been a living being, with his own thoughts, emotions...

And Grian had taken that all away.

A loud, crumbling noise caught his attention. He looked up and behind him, seeing the entrance had caved in. The other three hermits had disappeared from the room, to which Grian guessed they escaped.

He staggered to his feet, alarmed, wincing as at the movement his arm made. He was guessing he had broken something.

This is what happens when you build underground bases, Grian thought, hurrying over to the wall of jagged stone that blocked his way.

"GRIAN!" He heard a muffled voice yell from behind the rocks. Mumbo?

Grian tried to push against the rocks with his good arm, which only made his shoulder and wings hurt. It didn't budge.

Trapped in a TNT rigged room with a dead body, it being Sam's body making it even worse. This was the worst situation to be in.

What was the other thing Sam had mentioned?

He backed up from the wall, sitting against the wall, beside Sam. He had nowhere else to go, and his eyes were heavy and my throat felt as if it were burning.

Oh right. Gas.

He felt his body slump down onto the floor, laying beside his former friends lifeless corpse. Breathing felt like an exercise at this point.

I'm gonna die, Grian realized, desperately trying to stay awake. It wasn't working though.

The last thing he heard and felt was the cave shaking around him, the roof trembling, ear-splitting cracking sounds, and then a claustrophobic crushing feeling.

I don't wanna die, Grian thought, his heart racing, and then nothing.

Authors note//
😏‼️ angst