Chapter Seventeen

A grinding noise rumbles in the hallway as the double metal door glides open

A grinding noise rumbles in the hallway as the double metal door glides open. Raia, Nathan, Raiden, Cyrus, and Sonnet walk in through the entryway.

"They're here!" someone exclaims in a shrill voice, presumably the petite girl standing before them, who appears to be expecting their arrival. With her long white-blond ponytail that accentuates her snowflake skin, she will be mistaken for a ghost. She's wearing an Aragon uniform, which consists of a black swing coat with purple linings and a belt.

After a few seconds of checking their appearance with her peacock-blue eyes, she brightens and sprints forward. Soon, her face is buried in Sonnet's chest, and her arms are wrapped tightly around the woman like a child who hasn't seen her mother in a long time.

"I miss you, Miss Sonnet!" squeals the girl, squeezing the woman tightly.

Sonnet giggles and pats her head. "How long have you been here, Sunshine?"

Sunshine pulls away from her. "I came with Inspector Antoine, and we've only been here an hour."

Sonnet, Cyrus, and even Raiden and Nathan appear stunned, as though she has just delivered bad news.

Raia's gaze sweeps over them, a frown forming on her brow. An air of discomfort is seeping through the atmosphere.

An Inspector? Sounds like a person with authority. Maybe even superior to Cyrus.

Cyrus and Sonnet exchange a firm look before making their way to the wooden round table.

Raia scrutinizes the small girl with narrowed eyes. Sunshine is too young to be a disciple and go out killing demons. She must be around twelve years old or younger based on her appearance. Raia can't believe there will be a kid in the organization, let alone an Aragon. Wouldn't the job be traumatic for her, given that she's fighting demons with human looks?

"I'm so worried about you guys after hearing what happened," Sunshine says, her voice filled with concern. Upon noticing Raia's presence, she does a double-take.

"Oh! Who is she? I've never seen her before. New disciple?" Despite her small stature, she has a high-pitched voice that can be heard throughout the place. She approaches Raia and extends her hand without waiting for a response.

"Hello! I'm Sunshine Montanari, and I'm from Raquelean Branch. It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss?" Her lips widen into a big smile, and she flutters her eyelashes at Raia like a child seeking attention.

Nathan gives a long, noisy sigh. "The kid is here again."

Sunshine's beaming face contorts into a scowl as she stares at Nathan. "Shut up, you moron!"

Raia raises an eyebrow, taken aback by her sudden outburst.

Sunshine bows her head in apology. "I'm so sorry about that."