16

Kenma was waiting while in the studio. He had finally gotten around to asking Oikawa if he wanted to come in and model for a painting. Part of Kenma waited simply because he was brand new and didn't want to pressure him too much. The other part was because Kenma had never asked anyone other than Akaashi to model for a painting. Sure he asked Oikawa about it when he applied but that didn't help settle his nerves any less.

While waiting for Oikawa to arrive he worked on getting the studio prepped for the model. He moved aside some other projects that he was working on. The room was beginning to get crowded with his pieces. Sooner than later he'd have to place some out on display. He walked picking up some of the paints he had laying around and placing them all back onto his workstation.

While getting the camera set up and the block that he would have Oikawa leaning on there was a soft knock at the door. Kenma looked at the time and noticed it wasn't time for Oikawa to be there so who could it be? "Come in"

When the door opened it was Kuroo and Bokuto. He was quite impressed they remembered to knock on the door that time. In most cases, they just barge in and end up making Kenma irritated with them. "Hey Kitten." Both of the boys came in and sat on two chairs they both somehow ended up claiming were theirs.

"Why are you here," Kema asked while going back to focusing on his preparation.

Bokuto pouted back at his boyfriend. "Well we just wanted to see our beautiful boyfriend before he was going too busy for the rest of the evening but if he doesn't want us here then that's fine." Bokuto crossed his arms and looked to the side like a drama queen.

Of course, Kenma wanted them both there but he was also wanting to make sure things looked nice and were ready for when Oikawa got there. It wasn't like he needed to impress the older boy but he also didn't want things to look like a complete mess. Kenma sighed before turning to his lovers, "I'm sorry Bo I just want things to look nice."

Bokuto kept his arms crossed and the pout on his lip. Kenma walked over to him and poked his cheek. "Stop pouting you, big baby. I said sorry" Still to no prevail Bokuto kept the expression on his lip. Kenma began getting irritated not mad just a little pouty himself. His boyfriend won't look at him now. Kenma turned and crossed his arms scoffing. "Two can play at this you know"

Kuroo watched as his two boyfriends scoffed and huffed at each other annoyingly. It was kind of interesting for him to watch but he still stood up and walked towards them. "You know you have two other boyfriends that will give either of you attention you don't need it from each other." That snapped them both out of it each giving Kuroo a playful punch to each arm.

"Sorry, Kenken."

"It's alright. I'm sorry too" he mumbled the last bit softly. Still, Bokuto could hear it with a soft smile appearing on his lips.

Kenma went back to what he was doing before looking at the time. "You both should probably go though he should be here soon." And almost as if right on cue a knock was heard through the room. Kenma looked back to the door that wasn't closed by his two dork boyfriends. There stood Oikawa. he was in what seemed to be a relatively comfortable outfit. Kenma had told him to wear something he didn't mind sitting in for at least an hour or two.

Kenma looked over at Oikawa "Come in" then he looked over, glaring at the two boys that were goofing around in their seats. "You two out," Kenma said with a firm tone. They each looked at him and nodded both slightly with disappointed looks on their face but still listened. As they were about to leave they both stopped at the doorway.

"Love you," They said at the same time. "See you at home" Kuroo added. With that, they both made their way out the door shutting it behind them.

"Soo who were they?" Oikawa asked, giving Kenma a sly smirk.

"The black-haired one was Kuroo the other one was Bokuto. They uh... their Akaashi and my boyfriends." Kenma was a little flustered to say that out loud. He hasn't told anyone before about them. Sure a few people had already picked it up but he never had to verbally put it out in the world. It just made him blush a bit doing so.

Oikawa smiled a little bit, "Nothing to be shy about it was cute". Kenma could tell Oikawa was overconfident or at least put on the impression he was. It didn't matter much to him though as long as he got him to sit still for a few hours.

Kenma helped situate Oikawa into the exact position he wanted him in. The pose wasn't much of a challenge it was mostly just Oikawa laying his head on his hand. So it wasn't difficult to pull off.

Once Kenma was in the zone it was easy for him to just get started and never stop. Kenma got to sit and look at Oikawa's eyes for hours and it was great. Still, he had so many questions for the brunette. He didn't simply choose to paint his eyes for the fun of it. There was still something in them that screamed out for help. Something that made Kenma see all the tears the older had cried in the past. Just a feeling that was there and Kenma desired to know why that look had him feeling so close to the boy.

So Kenma did something he never really thought he would do. He initiated a conversation in the midst of a painting. "Why'd you decide to work here?"

Oikawa raised his eyes a bit at the question but attempted to keep his face the same as it was. "Well, I was beginning to get low on money. Then I saw the opening for the position. It seemed like a nice place, not too busy, and more than likely the people here were nice. So with all that I just decided to apply."

Kenma nodded but still needed to know more. Not that it was his place to force the information out of Oikawa but he still desired to know. Kenma stopped painting for a moment and looked Oikawa straight in the eyes.

"What happened to cause such a lonely and pained expression to fill your eyes."

Oikawa sat up straight and his forehead wrinkled and his lips parted slightly. The pain in his eyes intensified for a moment before he smiled softly and looked down in his lap. Oikawa gave a sad dry laugh before the smile faded back to a frown. "You know Kenma I could ask you that same question."

"I know."

They both continued to sit in silence for a minute before Oikawa spoke up "Well, um. I guess I don't know where to start. I guess if I had to start anywhere it would be with my mom. She uh, she died when I was quite young." Oikawa glanced up at Kenmas face expecting a sorrowful or shocked reaction but was rather was met with a compassionate look. "After her death, it was just me and my father. A few years later he got remarried and well new 'mommy' wasn't the warmest person on the planet. Quite opposite actually." Kenma nodded his head as if it was just a simple story. "She uh- she was a bit physical and controlling. I decided to leave. That's why I'm in this city because I got away."

Kenma sat for a minute letting Oikawa's story sink in. Not once had he heard a story that made him feel not so alone. Sure he had heard plenty of sob stories but none that he related to. Finally, after some thinking, Kenma looked back up to the other boy.

"I- I've never told this to anyone. Akaashi knows but even he barely knows the story. I didn't want to tell them since it was a story they couldn't relate to and I didn't want their pity. Both of my parents died... I was left with the gallery and sent to live with my aunt. She isn't nearly as bad as your stepmom sounds but she wasn't exactly a rainbow. My point is thanks for letting me hear about your story. I'm sure your mom was a lovely person."

Oikawa sat and processed everything much as Kenma did. Kenma wasn't expecting the other boy to say anything else so he was about to move back to his painting. Before he got the chance though Oikawa reached out and pulled Kenma in for a hug. He grabbed onto him tight and Kenma could feel soft tears soak into his shirt. Kenma returned the hug holding him just as tight.

"Thank you for letting me hear your story too"

The two boys sat and in each other's embrace, knowing that the other one felt their pain.