Chapter 3

Ananya Prasad

After coming from the surgery, I went to check on the patient in the ICU. The devil was also there. He asked me to monitor the patient's condition and then left. The patient is still in a comatose state and it will take another 3 days for him to come out of it.

It is almost 11.30 PM and I went to the residents' office room where the devil is studying something. I too went to my desk and started studying. Hussain is sleeping with his head on his desk as he and I have surgery scheduled at 4 AM.

Dhruv Sir, another Chief resident is in some discussion with the devil.

Samar and Joseph came at 1.30 AM and we woke Hussain up and then informed the devil that we are going for tea. Samar and Joseph went to the cafeteria to order, while, Hussain and I went to the ward to check on the patient to be operated on and then left for the cafeteria.

The surgery went well and it was almost noon once I got free. I then checked my phone and saw that there are 5 missed calls from my mother and a message from her asking me to call her.

I got worried that something might be wrong, or else she is not a person to call so many times when I don't lift.

"Mom, Is everything alright?" I asked her.

"Yes. Have you eaten anything?", she asked me.

"I just came from the surgery. I will go and eat now. Why did you call so many times?"

"I was just excited. Sharanya told me that she wants to marry her boyfriend. Can you guess who he is?", she asked excitedly.

"She has a boyfriend? How would I know mom? She never tells me anything. She doesn't even talk to me.", I said dejectedly.

"Don't worry sweety. Sharanya is still a little bit immature. She'll come around.", she consoled me.

"Hopefully. Now, will you tell me who is the guy?", I asked her.

"I will give you a hint. You know him very well." She told me smiling.

I sighed. She seems very happy that my sister is getting married.

"Mom, you know I am bad at this. So, please tell me. I will die with anxiety before guessing." I teased her.

"You are so boring like your dad. You always have your head in your books.", she told me dismissively. I can imagine the pout on her face.

"So, tell mom. I am very excited.", I told her trying to make her feel better.

"You know what, if you want to know, come home early this Saturday. They are coming for dinner. It's been so many days since we all had dinner together. You are always busy." She asked me.

"Mom, I can't. I have duty on Saturday until night. Tell me who he is now." I demanded her.

She said, "It's your punishment for not playing the guessing game. Try to be home on Saturday by 8 PM. Bye."

Why are there so many drama queens in my life?

My mom can be very childish. But, these days she must be feeling alone.

My dad and my brother, Srikanth are running a company. My sister is busy trying to build a career as an actress. I am always busy in the hospital. So I thought of going home early. I am also excited to meet my brother-in-law.

So, I did the next best thing. I called my brother Srikanth.

"Hey! Pinky! How are you?" he greeted me cheerfully.

Irritation seeped through me immediately, "God. I swear I will kill if you call me that. Why are you bringing that name again?"

"You know, you should brace yourself. I think you will listen to the name more often now that Sharanya is getting married." He laughed.

"Why would I be called Pinky if Sharanya is getting married? I don't under...."

Then realization dawned on me. OH MY GOD. Please don't do this to me.

"Please don't tell me it is who I think it is" I pleaded my brother horrified, feeling ashamed of myself.

"It is who you think it is. I bet it will be entertaining. See you on Saturday Pinky", he laughed and hung up.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

It can't be happening. My sister is not getting married to him, he is the reason she stopped talking to me 15 years ago when I was 10 years old.