Chapter 22 - Sitting By The Fire

Asher carefully spread the glaze over the small batch of pastries he had made, doing his best to add just the right amount.

His grandparents had given him a full list of recipes to try that ranged from general meals to full on banquets. Normally some of the ingredients weren't available this time of year, but thanks to the magically stocked kitchens, he was able to make a few out of season dishes, including the fruit and cream pastries he had just finished. Among his other experimental dishes were steak, meat pie, and cheesy potato wedges.

Basically in his eagerness he had cooked a full blown meal and he damn well knew he wouldn't be able to eat it all. It was a shame to waste the food, but since the ingredients had been magically conjured, Asher didn't worry too much. He had to practice after all. Furthermore, if he needed a taste tester he had one hovering just outside the kitchen, checking in on him every thirty minutes or so like a worried parent.

Asher finished drizzling the pastries and rolled his eyes. "How long are you going to linger there?"

The beast flinched, having been caught despite his attempts at being discrete. Stepping inside, the monster stood near the counter and eyed the food. "Hungry?"

"Nope." Asher replied, wiping his hands off.

Puzzled, the beast stared harder at the meal that was on display. Asher, still angry, chose not to explain himself.

After everything he'd gone through to help the beast, he was feeling betrayed that Leon hadn't trusted him enough to know that last part about 'love'.

Sure, true love was a pretty common necessity in breaking most spells, or so he'd heard. But those were children's stories. This was real life!

Shuffling around the kitchen, he tried to grab the dirty cutlery he'd been using so he could start cleaning in order to continue with his cold shoulder act, but once more the castle decided to work its magic at just the wrong moment and immediately jettisoned all the dirty dishes from the counter, simultaneous washing them and putting them away.

Asher paused, then waited to see if his newly baked goods would be whisked away too, like his unfinished cinnamon roles earlier. He made sure not to so much as glance at Leon as he did so, and after a moment, he came to the conclusion that the castle wouldn't 'throw away' good food. Just unfinished ingredients apparently.

A weight on his shoulder caught him off guard and the servant startled, then realized it was Leon leaning his forehead against the man.

"I'm sorry."

The beast's voice was quiet, almost a whisper, and Asher wanted to face him, but he stubbornly remained facing forward.

"You should be." Asher grit. "At this rate, you're never going to break the curse."

The creature didn't budge and continued to lean against the smaller man, head buried in his shoulder.

"I just...." Leon began. "I just don't feel ready to actually...I don't..." He sighed. "I don't want to see anyone else for a while."

Curious, Asher finally turned, causing the creature to lift his head as the two locked eyes. "What do you mean?"

Leon made a move to scratch his head, then stopped himself with a frown. "I'm just not in the mood to see more women."

"What if the witch comes back?"

"I'll put up with it like usual." The beast slumped. "I really don't want to see anymore women for a while is all."

"Why not?"

"I just don't."

It became apparent that the Prince didn't want to explain himself, and being a mere servant, Asher had no choice but to concede. So he did just that and gestured towards the spread of food. "I don't suppose you're in the mood for a snack?"