2 ◦✿◦ The Two Devils

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

The Norvillon Duchy, although part of the Gran Dacchian Empire, are rulers of their own right. Bordering the long mountain range of Black Sierra, they serve as guardians that protect the empire against monsters.

But it was not what the North is mainly known for. The Norvillons, who has ruled the territory, long before the kingdom became an empire, were unrivaled among the nobles. Some even claim that they are even or much more powerful than the ruling monarchs.

Although there was no solid proof, as Norvillons had never rebelled and the royalties left the Duchy to their own as long as the border of the North is protected.

And now, Lizzie, who was just told her real name was probably as long as the Great Crystal River that divides the kingdom, had her mouth open the whole time, despite the simplified explanation from Erdanielle Norvillon, her first half brother, the heir, and young devil number one.

"So am I the only one who doesn't know about this?!"

Lizzie closed her eyes from the loud booming voice.

"How about father—of course he knows. As if he doesn't."

Orogarthias Norvillon, the young devil number two. This grumpy-looking teen, suntanned and could not be mistaken for anyone but a warrior is her second brother, and probably as crazy as everyone says about the Norvillons.

Garth leaned on his chair as he glared at Erdan, his afternoon lessons with the knights forgotten.

"I tried to tell you before I left for the capital, but you were already gone early in the morning."

"Well, to kill people before they escape, you gotta visit them while they sleep, yeah?"

"Have you killed them all?"

"Nah. Father sent me home." The frown on his forehead folded deeper after each word. "He's chasing the rest to the mountains as we speak, for clean up. Thorough as ever. Poor Baron Pelkin." Then he laughed as he added, "He had it coming. More heads will line up the gates."

Lizzie couldn't even lift the cup of milk the servants gave her. She remembered how the whole castle was turned upside down by her arrival and Erdan nonchalantly announced the Grand Duke's lost daughter has been found after she was abducted years ago. Even as they speak in the private room, the servants would have probably been in a flurry of activity as their mouths whisper questions and disbelief.

It was not the point for now, among other things she must worry, was the fact that they were openly talking about death. And according to Red, she also will meet her end by the Norvillons. Her head might be displayed at the gates like what she saw earlier. And now, they were in what they claimed was her temporary room, as they chattered on her bedside.

"So, this thing, huh?"

She flinched by Garth's voice. His hands checked the angles of her face. "Why does it look scared tho? All skin and bones. We must feed it, yeah?"

"She's human, Garth. Our sister. And stop poking her cheeks."

To think that Lizzie belongs to the infamous family of the empire, that even she as a street rat knew and feared, her feelings were all in a twist.

Feliziia, named after Kirien's mother, a graceful dancer from a nomadic tribe that caught the old king's eyes. Lady Feliziia Gran Dacchia Norvillon, The Second. eight years old. The only daughter of Norvillon. And was very much confused.

They wasted a lot of the alphabet on a name that although sounded strange, was her own.

"Does it speak?" Garth asked, and once more poked her cheeks. "Oi."

"Y-Yes?" Her voice hitched.

"And here I thought you got spine, where was the silver dog who barked profanities at me go? Or are you pretending to be scared now? Quite cunning eh. Smart little sh*t."

Lizzie, was now at a fork between surviving and not surviving. Surely, they had the same blue eyes, but nothing more. Their hair was both black as a moonless midnight, but hers were more to white and silver.

Were they really siblings?

I heard the Grand Duke even killed his first wife with a fork, she recalled a conversation back on the slums.

Another street rat contested that it was a sword.

"Is it really possible to kill someone part of your family?"

"Your dad killed your mom, tho," one replied. It was a second before the other threw a punch, then hair pulling and the mere gossiping of street children had become a fight. At that time, Lizzie was one of those on the sidelines, just watching the chaos.

Now, she is asking the same question. Is it really possible?

Yes, she thought. Humans are relentless. Even if they are siblings? Yes. It's the first day they had met. Even if she's just a child? Yes. Even babies were thrown off rivers, especially if they are female and illegitimate.

The world is wicked and she must be one to survive it.

What Red said may be true or not. But both ways, Lizzie did not want to die.

She asked herself how to proceed. If she admitted that she had independently and knowingly cursed him, would he behead her too?

She didn't want that. Ever. Just be adorable. Red's words stuck to her head, Cuteness can rule the world. And to think she'd resort to such methods, her bed could swallow her whole in shame.

Maybe, maybe it'll work.

Hopefully, cuteness could keep her head attached to her neck. And so, like how a child must behave, she tilted her head. "Sh*t? Sh*t!" She grinned as the cold sweat was running her back. Cuteness will save her, it will, she told herself.

The two fell silent.

"We'll f*cking shit—"

"Shit. F*cking shit?" Lizzie smiled and just as quickly, turned to Erdan. "What's that?" she asked even if she knew all the curses on the streets.

Erdan, on the edge of laughter, replied with trembling words, "You say it to the people you like, Lizzie. But say it only to those you really like, alright?"

"Mm, mhm!" She beamed and nodded as if her neck was elastic and declared, "You f*cking shit!"

Silence passed. Lizzie lifted her cup and drank the milk like it was the most interesting thing in the world.

"This dog said it likes me!" Garth declared in an offended tone and yet, his ears were red.

Erdan, unable to control himself, muttered "Idiot." His chuckles sounded like the devil's laughter.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-