06

"Detention, can you believe it?" I grumbled, outraged by the prospect of it. "And with McGonagall, of all people— If I ever cross paths with Malfoy again, I swear to Merlin I'll—" Cutting myself off at the image before me, I knitted my brows together even tighter.

Taking a second to take my friend in, I huffed in amusement as well as annoyance.

His head tilted slightly, Kai's attention was entirely on the book in his hands, scanning line after line probably without ever having noticed my whispered shouts. Though, he seemed to notice the silence now and took it as his cue to hum in agreement.

His eyes never leaving the pages, he scratched his nose before nodding. "You're absolutely right, Anna," He muttered absentmindedly, eyes flickering over to me for a split second before they automatically found their way back to the book.

With around ten seconds of delay, they shot back up to mine after he processed the glare on my face.

"Put down that bloody book, Kai!" An annoyed groan accompanied my words as I leaned over the library table, snatching it out of his hand at once. He just sighed, leaning back in his chair leisurely.

Pushing the brown curls out of his face, his eyes lingered on the now-closed book sitting on the table in between us.

"My bad, cariño," He admitted, an apologetic smile gracing his features as he looked up at me. "It's just... this Jane Austen—" He trailed off, eyes lingering on the book once more. "It's hard to put it down once you start," He shrugged.

Eying the book myself, I quirked an eyebrow at the novel. "Is it muggle?" I wondered out loud, though I was pretty sure I already knew the answer.

"Sí," He nodded excessively, knowing how much the fact would irk me. He watched me push the red book a little further to the side with an amused grin, shaking his head slightly at the action. "Now, what was it you were talking about? I heard Malfoy's name and decided it wasn't worth it."

Riled up simply by the thought of the situation, I scrunched up my nose in annoyance.

"That fucker turned me in for breaking curfew— when he was out breaking curfew himself!" I began once more, trying my best to keep my voice down, seeing as we were in the library, after all. "After basically telling me he wouldn't."

I knew, technically, he never said such a thing. Though, I felt we had a silent agreement last night. So, to be served detention by Snape in passing during lunch was hardly what I had imagined.

The professor didn't even bother stopping as he walked past the Slytherin table, saying nothing but "You know what you did, Hayes. A detention should finally teach you what curfew means," as he walked as slow as he talked.

Only after I went to his office later on in the day, I found out I were to serve that detention with Professor McGonagall. "She has a lot of candelabra for you to scrub next Saturday," He had explained before refusing to listen to any of my but's and if's.

And that's when I ended up here, knowing I'd find the Ravenclaw boy in one of the aisles.

"Well," He said after I had finished my angry rambling, his lips playfully pressed into a thin line. "All I can say to that is what were you doing out alone at night, breaking curfew with him, anyway?"

A playful gasp broke his pretend-serious demeanour before he clutched a hand against his chest. "I thought what you and I had was special, Adreanna. You're breaking my heart," He laughed.

Rolling my eyes, I stretched out my leg underneath the table, kicking around until I successfully hit his shin. "Shut up," I snorted humorously. "No, you didn't," I added afterwards, triumphantly watching his smirk transforming into a pained scowl.