Chapter 10: Struggle to Survive

(Y/N) sat, her eyes trained on the sky. She felt hopeless. She was stranded here with Hange and there was no way to get back to the formation. It was inevitable for titans to come and eat them. Oh God, there were going to be titan food. (Y/N) didn't want to be eaten. She didn't care much about how she would die; she knew she would have a short life when she signed up for the scouts, but she really didn't want to be eaten by a titan. And Hange...(Y/N) really didn't want her to die either so leaving her was never an option. If it came to the point where she would die if she stayed with Hange, she would accept her death, even if it meant getting eaten by a titan.

"I can do this," (Y/N) whispered. "I'll get us out of here. I have fuel for my gear and sharp blades. I can do this."

(Y/N) took a closer look at Hange's wounds. Her arm was bent at an awkward angle, and so was one of her legs. Her impact on the roof caused a piece of wood to dig deep into her abdomen. It looked bad, but she was stable enough to be moved. Summoning strength from within her (Y/N) pulled Hange up slowly and placed Hange's arm around her neck. (Y/N) wrapped her own arm around Hange's waist and stood up, knees slightly buckling.

Hange was heavier than she seemed. All those years of training must have caused an increase in her muscle mass. (Y/N) prayed that she wouldn't accidentally drop Hange while using her gear. This would take all of the power she had. Her plan was to get to the middle of the formation and get Hange to a medic cart. It will work, (Y/N) reassured herself, it has too.

"Let's go, section commander," (Y/N) grunted and readjusted her grip on Hange's waist before taking off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

What felt like hours passed by and (Y/N)'s muscles were screaming. She had been following the trails of smoke left in the sky by the scouts, carrying Hange's limp body with her. Her arms felt like they were about to fall off. She wanted to believe they were almost there, by the lingering green smoke. Just a few more houses to fly by. Luckily, they had not encountered any titans yet.

(Y/N) paused again, training her ear to listen to Hange's faint breathing. She was still alive. Good. Hange couldn't die on her yet. She jumped off another roof and was airborne for a few minutes before landing clumsily on a roof that was a few feet away. This was a tedious process. (Y/N) panted, her chest heaving. She didn't know how long she could keep this up.

(Y/N)'s ears picked up on a faint sound and her head perked up. Was that...the clopping of horse hooves? She looked behind her and almost screamed with excitement when she realized they were. There were two scouts and three horses coming their way.

"Hey!" (Y/N) screamed, waving with one arm to get their attention. Luckily, the scouts heard her and came to a slow trot.

"Are you okay?" One called out.

"No! Section Commander Hange has severe injuries, she needs a medic and fast!" (Y/N) cried out.

The other scout used ODM gear to meet them on the roof. "I've got her."

He was tall, with broad shoulders and muscles as big as (Y/N)'s face. Without any trouble, he scooped Hange from (Y/N)'s arms and went back to the horse, placing Hange in front of himself, using his arms to keep her from falling.

(Y/N) followed and got on the extra horse. It was as if her body knew that the hardest part was over and decided to deteriorate. Staying atop the horse took all of the effort that she had. She glanced over to where the scout and Hange were and held her sigh of relief. She couldn't be happy yet. Hange still didn't have a chance of making it out.