Sixty three

"Erin! Erin!" Alex shouted. Erin looked up from the patient she was checking out. "Where's Robbins?" he said.

"Uh," Erin scanned the room. "Over there," she pointed at Arizona working on another patient. He nodded and ran over to Erin.

"Shattered femur, fifteen years old, Stark wants to amputate," Alex said.

"Oh, hell no. Zona!" she shouted. Arizona looked up. "Go," she pushed Alex over. She watched him go and explain and saw Arizona shake her head fiercely.

"Erin, hold the fort down here. I'm going to kick Stark's ass," Arizona said.

"Got it," Erin nodded. She and Alex stormed off and Erin turned back to her patient.

"Are they your friends?" the girl asked.

"Yeah. Dr. Robbins is a pediatric surgeon and Dr. Karev and I will be going into peds, too," Erin said. "You're all good. Just stay here so we can observe you and we'll update your family as soon as they arrive," she said.

"Thank you," she said. Erin winked and moved over to the next patient.

Erin's pager beeped furiously with messages telling her to get to the OR from Arizona and Alex.

"Lexie!" she shouted. Lexie looked up from where she was trying to fill in paperwork. "I've got to go into surgery so I need you to hold it down here with Jackson, alright?" Erin said.

"Got it," Lexie nodded. Erin nodded and ran towards the OR, climbing up to the viewing room.

"Karev, what's going on?" she pressed the intercom button, seeing Alex body-blocking Stark.

"Robbins has gone to get privileges. I'm saving the kid's leg and her life," Alex said.

"Dr. Grey, scrub in and help me amputate this leg right now," Stark shouted.

"Fat chance. She needs her leg. She's fifteen, Dr. Stark, and if you cut off her leg, she's gonna think her life is over. So, no, we're not amputating her leg. We're gonna wait for Arizona and when she comes back with privileges, we're gonna save it and we're gonna save her," Erin said. Alex smirked up at her through his mask.

"See? This is how we do it in Seattle Grace Mercy West," he said. Stark groaned loudly but didn't move towards the patient.

"Erin, come and scrub!" Arizona shouted from downstairs. Erin smirked and ran down the stairs into the scrub room with Arizona and Callie. She got her scrub cap and mask on, then started scrubbing in.

"He's a dick. I hate him. I'm so glad you're back," Erin sighed, rinsing the soap off her arms under the water.

"Yeah, I'm glad to be back, too," Arizona said, her eyes meeting Callie's over Erin's head. Callie raised her eyebrows at Arizona with a small smirk, knowing Arizona hadn't told Erin how she felt yet.

"Come on," she said, walking into the OR to get gowned and gloved.

Erin stepped into the viewing gallery of OR 1 after Meredith paged her to say Cristina was in there with Altman. Slowly, everybody in their weird family filled in to watch them operate.

"I just took my kid to a room. He was the last one," Owen said.

"Besides this one," Richard said.

"Mm-hmm. Yeah. Besides this one," Owen said. They all looked down as Teddy looked up at them. She nodded and they all relaxed. The patient on the table was the shooter but saving a life was still saving a life.

"We saw 26 patients. 26 victims and we had no casualties. No one died today," Richard said. Lexie squeezed Erin's hand from one side of her, Jackson squeezing the other. Half of them were crying, until Derek and Meredith started laughing.