FIVE

It was like a switch went off in all of their heads. Some more so than others, but all of them became much more hyper as soon as the camera was turned on. JJ changed the most, going from annoying to hilarious in less than a few minutes. The way he interacted with everyone on camera was funny, and his laugh was extremely contagious.

I giggled as he was once again rejected by one of the girls. I'd never admit it to him, but I was glad I wasn't reading. It was fun to watch.

As their video ended, I drank some more of my drink before looking down at my phone and sighing.

It was work.

I held the phone up to my ear. "Hey Nick, what's up?"

"Would you be able to come in a few days this week? I know you're off but Lisa called out sick and I need someone to cover her shifts."

I sighed again and looked down at my lap, feeling dread creep up into my chest. As much as I didn't want to work, I needed the hours. Especially if I was going to be hanging out with all of these rich people.

"Uh, okay, sure. What days?" I bit my lip.

"Today, tomorrow, Wednesday, and Friday."

"Friday? I, um, I don't work Fridays," I started stammering. "But, I can do it this week. Don't worry about it, I'll be there."

"You're a lifesaver," He told me. "See you later."

"Bye," I mumbled.

"So, what do you say we go to the house for some games?" Simon came over to me and tilted his head at my expression. "You okay?"

I looked up at him and nodded. "Yeah, uh, I just can't come today. I have to work."

"Vik said you were off all week," Tobi mentioned from next to him.

"I was," I held my phone up to them. "Not anymore."

"That's a shame," Simon shrugged, but he glanced at Tobi with a look I didn't understand. "Well, maybe sometime later this week."

"Maybe," I stood up. "I should go get ready. I'll call an Uber. Thanks for this, it was fun."

"Do you want a ride?" Tobi asked me. He smiled kindly at me so I nodded, waving at everyone before following him out. As I got in and put on my seatbelt, he looked at me. "So, waitressing, huh? How has that been treating you?"

I shrugged. "I get tired of it after a while. I was planning on going to uni this semester, but I'm too busy for even one Psychology class."

"Psychology? Wow. You're interested in all that stuff?"

I giggled. "You're talking to someone who reads in her spare time. Are you really surprised?"

He chuckled. "Fair point."

"I just keep putting it off, telling myself it'll be better next year," I shrugged again and looked out the window.

"Have you thought about moving?" He asked me. "Maybe you'll be less busy if you had a cheaper place."

I met his eyes. I had thought about moving. I joked. "Jenna would have a fit if I left."

*****

Exhausted, I lazily shoved my keys into my door, having loosened the top few buttons on my white blouse and let down my hair. It was always a nightmare walking home in my work clothes, because even though my tight black skirt went down to just above the knees, my exposed legs were freezing. As the door opened, I looked down at the ground and slowly walked inside, yawning and looking at my watch.