²¹ Starman

ᵖᵃʳᵗ ²¹ - ʟᴏᴠᴇ, sᴛᴀʀᴍᴀɴ

❛ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ɪs sᴘᴇᴄɪᴀʟ ❜

Seven was sitting at the Byers table, his cheek pressed against his fist as he stared at the numbers on his paper.

Joyce and Hopper had convinced that Jonathan and Nancy tutor El and Ven--separately-- on basic skills like language and math, some science, and also just references and how to keep a conversation going--which Ven was good at in his opinion.

Jonathan had given him homework, that Ven barely understood, though he tried his hardest.

Will was at Mike's along with the rest of the party, to Ven's dismay, but Hopper wanted him to learn--though Seven was jealous of his sister who was able to hang out with the party since she was better at the homework.

"You got it?" Joyce asked, turning to look over her shoulder as she washed the dishes.

"I think?" Ven said though it was more of a question.

Joyce let out a laugh, "How about you take a break?"

"But Hop--"

"I'll talk to him." the woman brushed off.

The boy sent a tired smile towards the woman, closing his notebook and putting his pencil in the spiral wire.

Joyce dried her hands on the towel hanging from the oven handle, her hands placed on her hips when she saw Ven's lost expression.

"You okay? You want me to take you to Mike's?" she asked softly.

"Um...no." he sighed.

Joyce frowned, walking over to the table sitting on the seat next to him. "What's wrong?"

Ven's thoughts went back to his conversation with Will, his heart beginning to race.

"You could tell me anything...you know that, right?" Joyce whispered, her hand reaching out to run her fingers through his untamed curls.

The boy swallowed at the soft touch, unwillingly leaning into the motherly touch, his eyes beginning to water at the feeling heavy on his chest.

Fear.

He was scared, he wanted to tell the woman how he felt, what he was thinking.

The thoughts that haunted him the last few days, and when he walked home from Will's the day he told the bowl-cut boy.