Chapter 8

Hmm. Strange. I thought.

From the moment I woke up, it seemed as if Pansy or Daphne hadn't even come last night, their beds untouched and only their awful stench of wickedness remained. While it was strange, I hadn't felt this type of peace in quite a while.

Thank Merlin, says the voice continuing in my head, I was really expecting quite the dramatics from yesterday, but let's be honest, I'm not complaining.

And yet the more I thought, the more I found myself wondering where she could have gone; which ultimately led me to question whether she was with him. In his bed.

I shake my head. "For all I care, Pansy could be f*cking Draco right now, and I wouldn't even mind" I growl to myself.

I flip the page of my book roughly, almost tearing the ends with the sudden swift motion. The book responds with an audible rustle as if echoing the voices that were telling me the things I didn't want to hear. In the soft glow of the light filtered by the curtains, I found myself deeply engrossed in a good book, attempting to savor every word as the pages turned. Tiny raindrops tiptoe on the window, their soft taps composing a gentle song in the early morning. I hum along to the beat, slowly allowing myself to sink deeper into the plush velvety sofa.

Suddenly, the door to my room bursts open with an unceremonious crash, and all that I've been trying to avoid comes down on me within a matter of seconds. Without even looking up to see who it was, I continued to read my book unapologetically, all while feeling her icy glare slicing through me like a dagger.

Pansy. I didn't have to acknowledge the sound to know that a woman of sharp edges and even sharper intentions was standing in front of me. I could just feel it. With my head tilted down, I could still see her black hair frame her face in a curtain of malice as she scowled at me; her tall figure hiding Daphne who was standing awkwardly behind her, like a puppet on strings.

Bloody hell, do we really have to do this now...

I calmly set my book aside and took a moment to collect myself, the serenity now replaced by a simmering tension. It was as if the very walls of this room were holding their breath, aware of the hostility within. I had anticipated this moment for a while now, but what really intrigued me was the question of why now?

With a raised eyebrow and a bemused smile, I meet her glare with a hint of snark. "Oh, how charming of you to grace me with your presence," I quip, feigning surprise.

"You whining little c*nt," Pansy curses, venom dripping from her every word.

"What? Me?"

"You know what you did."

"Oh, Pansy. I just simply pointed out the truth."

Her eyes widen, and she clenches her fists, her knuckles turning a ghostly white. "The truth?" she spits. "You embarrassed me in front of Draco. How dare you?"

I glance at Daphne, who avoids eye contact and just stares at the creaky board flanking from the ground, clearly uncomfortable with the brewing storm.

I remain steadfast. "Pansy, I didn't embarrass you. I merely exposed what was bound to happen. It's not my fault that you took it so personally."

Her anger only seemed to grow, and I could see her struggling to regain control over the situation. The puppet master was starting to lose her strings. As she continued to fume and sputter, her perfect facade unraveled before my eyes; I couldn't help but feel a sense of satisfaction.

As well as a realization, that sometimes, even the most potent weapon against manipulation was not deception, but the unwavering truth.

"Just so you know, he came back after your little scene," she speaks up with a sinister glint in her eyes, "and oh what a wonderful night we had."