Chapter 12

"Where are we?",  I ask, feeling him bear his gaunt body against me as his cold hands cover my eyes.

I don't hear an answer.

The strong scent of his expensive cologne, warmth exerting from him, comforts me, knowing that he's still there, listening and waiting.

My eyes try to adjust to the lights, the second he replaces his hands onto my shoulders and nuzzles his face into my neck. I stroke his hair in confusion, scrutinizing at the mess, curious about where I am.

"Welcome to the room of requirement, my darling!", he says, separating from me and stretching his arms wide open like he is showcasing the vastness of clitter- clatter.

Just as I was about to say something, he interlocks his fingers with mine, pecks on the top my hand, and straggles me through the shambles of random objects. "I want you to keep an open mind when I show you this," he says, stumbling a bit as he's hesitating to tell me something. "Look, I don't want any secrets between us. If this is going to work, we're going to need to be completely honest with one another."

I gulp, aware that it may be a problem for me. For Merlin's sake, my entire life here, at Hogwarts, is a lie.

But, I can't tell him that.

He halts short and I bump into his back. "Why are we stopping?"

"Can I trust you?", he says grimly without looking at me, like whatever he's planning on showing me, will determine the fate of our relationship.

"Yes."

Silence fills the air as he processes my simple, yet meaningful response.

He sighs and takes a step to the side, allowing me to view at a mysterious tall object hidden underneath a covering. It didn't take long for me to ponder at what it was as he tugs the sheet off, displaying a large depository. "This is what I've been working on for the past few months, one of the reasons why I was rarely in class."

I vigilantly graze the detailed artwork, tracing the metallic spirals of the pattern.

"Vanishing Cabinet", he says firmly, "That's what it's called. It works as a... transport system. Here let me show you."

He finds a green apple that is fixed on the table, tosses it in the air for a split second before putting it inside this 'cabinet'. Tensely gripping onto his arm, suspense lingers as I await for him to reopen the door, pending for a sign that his creation can actually function.

I peek up at him, searching for permission to open it myself. He nods slightly, and I reach out for the handle.

A bite mark.

That's all I need to know.

I whirl around and gently slam my back against the cabinet's door, sliding down until my bottom reached the solid ground. Hands on the temples of my forehead, I murmur, "It-it... works".

He drops next to me and leans his head onto my shoulder, "Are you ok?"

"Yeah", I whisper, not wishing to hear the purpose of this alchemy. I know, already.

He jolts up frantically and sets his hand onto mine. "Hey, why don't we do something fun?"

My eyes widen, warm cheeks as they flush red, the inappropriate thoughts rolling in.

"Let's play 21 questions."

Relief mixed with a little bit of regret fills my subconscious as I thought he had something else in mind. "Ok, I'll go first..."

We didn't even notice that hours had passed, as we were so in tune with the interrogation, laughing and joking around.

"Ok, ok, last question of the game. Ready?", he chuckles.

"Yes."

"What does Angitia mean?"

"Ahh, I didn't think anyone would ask, especially you. Why so interested?"

"I don't know. I guess it's because I feel like the name seems familiar. Or perhaps, because it's just unique."

"Fine, I'll tell you, ferret. Before my first year in Hogwarts, I was in a Muggle school and we had a lesson on mythology-"

"Muggle school ", he mumbles softly.

"Excuse me, if you hate Muggles so much, why are you with me? Now, if you don't want to listen to my story, you can stick-"

"I'm sorry, alright, I'm not used to it. Remember, that's all I know. Please, continue your story", he says apologetically, moving closer to place his head on my lap. "Go ahead, I'm listening."

I bite my lips at the unintentional exploitation he has done, wondering how this boy can easily corrupt my mind.

"Umm... y--yes..o--ok.", I take a sharp breath and carry on with my answer, subtly brushing my fingers through his hair. Merlin... anyone with eyes would say that's one of his many best features.

"As I was explaining before I was rudely interrupted", I joke, "Angitia was a goddess of serpents, snakes, magic, and healing of the Marsi, a Latin tribe located in the high mountains part of Italy, now referred as Abruzzo. She was infamous for her intellectual capacity to cure those that have been harmed, particularly those who had been poisoned by serpents. The goddess carried with her the vitality of "reviving" as the snake sheds its skin to revitalize, replenish and repair their former glory, in some situations to best blend in or adapt to an evolving environment. Snakes heeded her commands as she had the ultimate control over life and death by merely uttering a word."

He stands up and I follow. "And what would you do with this divine power? Would you kill me, wipe me from existence, if I asked you to?"

"And how would I benefit from this?" I question, twisting myself towards him. His finger clasps around my throat, but I wasn't frightened, instead I've been mesmerized. "What could you potentially offer me that I do not currently have?", I hoodwink, as he pushes me into the cabinet. I admire the way his eyes fell to my mouth until I notice how his face paints this anxious expression, as if he was forced into this mayhem. But, it stays only for a second, before it transitions back into his cocky, confident self.

"My devotion."