Chapter 15

The dungeon was a large box of cement, one way in, no way out. Inside it, I wouldn't be able to know how much time I have lost, or even tell if it was dark or light outside. Anybody in this cell could forget their own identity if they stayed there for long.

A couple of Death Eaters threw me into the cell aggressively, one of them snickering with the words, "You'll never leave, you filthy Mudblood! It's only a matter of time before you die rotting in here. Maybe that'll teach you a lesson on not to mess with the Dark Lord and his Death Eaters! Ha!", slamming the cell in front of my face, mocking me with his freedom to moveabout.

I study the room, feeling like something is off, but retaining my faith that Draco is going to break me out of this obscene chamber. I know he will. I'm sure of it... right?

Minutes after, I realize that the aftertaste of my salty tears has ceased to exist, that there are no sounds of voices, somewhat of an unsettling quiet. Yet this wasn't what triggered me. The room is just walls: vast and vacant. 

In the background was the distant echo of water leaking out of a rusty pipe, dripping into a puddle on the ground. The only comfort I find in this empty room.

I sat with my back against the cool metal bars, listening to the water drop, waiting. Despair lies a millimeter beneath my chest, eyes blank, smile gone, admitting to myself that if I ever allow out a little self- pity, that the remaining tears will continue, an eternal flood. So, instead, I drift off to sleep on the cold, hard floor, hoping that this all had just been one of my usual nightmares.

I'll just wait. Wait until he saves me.

***Draco's POV***

"Father, tell them to let her go!", I shout, at the instant I enter the manor, fists so tight that the veins on my arms are popping out.

"Now, Draco, that pesky Mudblood belongs where she is. Don't you agree?", he says with such elegance, keeping his composure in front of the other Death Eaters.

"I said what I said! Let her go!"

"You insolent brat, don't you dare ta--", he glances around and sees that all eyes were on him, so he laughs it off and tosses his arm around me. "Come with me, son."

He hales me to an isolated place, far away from any distractions. "Listen here, you do not speak to me like that," his fingers grapple onto my wrist, tight enough to where he could easily break it. "Bellatrix told me all about your little affair with that Muggle-born. You can't let her get into your head. Can't you see, the girl has weakened you."

"What is so bad about that?! Yes, I have feelings for her but that doesn't make me weak! She made me realize that I am better than I thought, that I would never become a monster like you!" I couldn't believe what I said. I mean, my entire life I have lived in fear, terrified of the things my father could do to me when he's furious. And today, I threw all my morals away just to get her back.

That's when it hit me.

"I love her..."

From a young age I knew I was in a dysfunctional family, still stuck with psychological abuse and scars since the trauma from the years before had a serious impact on me, made me believe that I would never have the need to say those three words.

My soul has been alone for so long it almost disappeared. But, she now holds my soul in her heart, and it will always be forever hers.

"I love her, I love her, I love her".

His hand switches to my throat, crushing it as he blocks my air flow that once glided down into my lungs, yet I still say, "I love her...", even when they've turned into gasps for oxygen. My eyes began to slowly close as everything turned dark and blurry.

"STOP! What are you doing, Lucias!" A vague face appears from the corner of the room, yelling to what I presume, as my ears are ringing. She pushes him off of me, hollering, "Leave my son alone!"

I lightly touch my throat at the same spot to which my father's hand left bruised imprints, panting and coughing at the lack of air.

He shifts his anger onto my innocent mother and slaps her right across her face.

After the love amongst them fell, all my father wished for was world dominance. Never did he hold on to her words or succumb to her embrace. He would no more appreciate her presence or utter her name kindly.

His life serving the Dark Lord just paved the way for the built up anger that he could barely contain, and there was no other victim but my mother. In the beginning there was shame, an urge to avoid it, nevertheless he abandons them, remembering how much he loved slamming his fist against her flesh.  A quick taste of pleasure during each strike, a sensation he couldn't get anywhere else.

It's the same old story. Father has been agitated, his defense mechanism has become normalized, he has been spiraling in his desire for power. Mother has been 'tamed', afraid to even look at him in the eyes, and I cannot be here to watch her go down that road, again.

Her face is gaunt, her pale skin appears almost grey and her eyes lack the light that should come with her youth. Her face crumples again, "Please, don't hurt him!"

My father fixates on me; his bloodshot eyes bulge out, veins visible on his forehead as he grunts, "You will forget that girl! Do you hear me?! She is Mudblood and she will not be a part of my sons' life! Either you forget her yourself or I will make you!"

For a fraction of a second, the corners of my mouth twitch upwards, until my conscious mind asserts control again. "No."

"LUCIAS, NO!", I could hear my mother scream, the second he raises his wand and points it at me.

"Obliviate."