Chapter 26

The early morning is quite beautiful; I don't know why I've missed them for these past months, for there is always a chance that we'd never get to witness it again.

Throughout March, I'd wake up and stand in my balcony, feeling the breeze brush against my skin, whispering to me a hypnotic spell that made me come back everyday.

A delicate shade in the sky, baby-blue with a hint of pink, clouds fluffier than ever. I studied every bird that passed by, wings fluttering gracefully as they flew to different branches, singing the melody of the French song. I wonder if she knows anything about that? Oh, what am I saying, of course she does. She said it herself that she knows all of his deepest secrets, probably more than what he has shared with me.

It was one of those spring moments that even with the chilly wind, it still felt like a warm embrace from the world itself. How things have changed in just a few short months. Take the rose bush for instance; weeks ago it was a reckless, grotesque shrub. But, now, it's buds are gradually blossoming while others have already fully opened, the red, velvet roses dancing and swaying in the breeze.

Knock, knock, knock.

I jolt up, pulling myself out of my thoughts and entering back into my bedroom to open the door. His blonde hair wistfully sweeps across his eyes as his head is down, covering them from me. "Can I talk to you?", he says, still not looking at me.

"I'm not sure you can." I say disconcerted, knowing the reason why he's here. 

"Please?", he pleads, eyes finally meeting mine.

"Fine, what?"

He jerks his head towards my room, consciously asking me to go inside, where no one could hear us. I crinkle my forehead and straighten my back, cautiously moving out of the way.

"I'm sorry. I'm so f*cking sorry for all of the pain I've caused you. I wish I could take it all back just to--", he says, grasping onto my hand and stroking it the way he used to.

I pull my hand away from him and he doesn't say anything for a couple of moments. "Is that why you're here?"

"Huh, well yes, but--"

"I forgive you."

"Really?!"

"I forgive you, but, I won't forget."

He lowers his head to stare at his feet as he shuffles them, squirming awkwardly. "So what does this mean?", he asks me.

"It means you can finally be with the person you've loved this whole time and I won't get in your way."

"Thank you for your understanding", his tone sounds like he's relieved that I wouldn't cause any harm to their relationship. "C--can we still be friends?"

I sigh, stepping closer to him, hands on his shoulder as he lifts his head, gazing back into my eyes. "If I tell you no, what would you do?"

"I'd fall down to my knees to beg, no, bother you till you say yes." I giggle at his joke because this boy would never--

And in a blink of an eye, the boy was on the ground, hands clamped together, imploring me for an answer. "Umm...I don't know", I say sarcastically, waiting for him to plead some more.

"Please, please say yes. What do you want me to do, kiss your feet?"

"Well...", he looks at me frightened that he has gotten to this point of his life. "Alright, I'll be your friend, now get up you idiot." I hear him mutter a 'thank you' under his breath before getting up to my eye level, and yanks me into a warm hug. Oh, how I've missed this.