Chapter Four

"Father informed Eska and I that we will be leaving in two day's time."

Desna had just arrived at your hut to join you for breakfast when he dropped this information in your lap. Thoroughly taken aback, you froze when your mind processed Desna's words. He was leaving.

"What? Why?"

"Cousin Korra must open the spirit portal in the North. Father, Eska, and I will be accompanying her along the journey so that we may return home."

"Oh," was all you managed to say, taking a seat on the couch nearby. Sure, it had only been a fortnight since you had met Desna, but your feelings for him had grown substantially during that time. At this point, you knew in your heart that you cared about him more than you'd ever cared for any other man. The thought of him leaving felt like a punch in the stomach.

Desna hesitated for a moment, before joining you on the couch.

"Would you be opposed to accompanying me?"

You nearly got whiplash from how fast your head snapped up to look at him.

"You want me to come with you?"

"Of course. I may be returning home, but I do not wish for our courtship to end.... Do you?"

"Not at all."

"Excellent," Desna stated, sounding relieved by your answer. "I am admittedly quite taken with you, and I was extremely displeased with the idea of no longer being able to see you."

"That's good to know, because I feel the same way," you said with a grin, before leaning forward to place a quick kiss on his lips.

"So you will join me, then?"

"I would love to. It'd be an incredible opportunity to see the Northern Water Tribe, and I'll get to see all the places you've told me about. And, of course, I'll get to be with you."

Desna smiled softly, before taking your hand and placing a kiss upon your knuckles.

"I will send someone to assist you with your luggage at dawn on that day. We will leave after the morning meal."

You nodded, then realized aloud, "I definitely need to go get more winter clothes.... Care to join me for some retail therapy?"

"I enjoy accompanying you on any excursion, regardless of its purpose. Although I am unsure of why we must attend therapy."

"Figure of speech, Des," you said with a laugh, and he mouthed a silent 'oh.'

Hours later, you had acquired more than enough warm clothing from the local shops for your trip – although Desna refused to let you pay for any of it. He argued that the items were only necessary because he was inviting you to go with him, therefore he should be the one to pay for them. And of course, per his relatively lavish taste, he insisted that you meet with his tailor upon arriving at the Northern Water Tribe, to fit you for finer clothes.

After leaving the final stop of your shopping spree, you ran into Bolin and Eska.

"Hey, can I have a word with you?" Bolin asked you, and you noticed he looked incredibly nervous. He didn't bother waiting for an answer, grabbing your arm and beginning to walk off, before he was met with a wall of ice.

"Why are you engaging in physical contact with another woman yet again?"

Eska's icy tone informed the both of you that she was responsible for the ice as you turned to look at her.

"Oh for spirits' sake, I'm basically his sister. Also, he's not your dog to bark commands at. Bo's his own person, and if you have a problem with us having a chat, you can take it up with me," you said, crossing your arms and returning the girl's glare. You weren't an idiot; you knew that you were no match for a powerful waterbender. But you'd always been protective of Bolin, and you were sick of seeing how she treated him, so you were incapable of holding your tongue any longer. And, in the event of a worse case scenario, you knew Desna wouldn't let her hurt you.