Chapter 32

***Draco POV***

Fifteen years have passed since the war. Fifteen f*cking years.

I remember those days I would cry at night, yearning for your touch, to hold you in my arms, but you were never there. No. Because the only place I'd get to see you were in my dreams; waking up every morning to an empty bed, a bitter, cool indent in the tulle sheets.

And sometimes I could feel you; your soft skin brushing against mine, the echo of your voice, your scent of fresh morning dew risen from the grass. Your sweet laughter, your blue eyes, your long dark hair; all I can sense but, never more than that tiny glimpse.

I know you never wanted me to feel alone, and since you were gone, I felt nothing but, alone. The sunrise in the early morning that we once watched is still beautiful, most certainly, but it is not warm anymore. I don't have you to share it with. And I don't know how you expected me to just go on without you in my life, because, darling, you were my life. It was you and I'm so f*cking sorry that I was too late to just say it all.

Why--why did you leave me? Everyday that goes by, everyday that I'm without you hurts, yes, even after all this time. And I keep thinking about what could have happened if I just knew, if you told me the truth. I could have protected you, helped you, did everything in my power to keep you alive.

You never said that you were leaving. You never even said goodbye. You just left.

I read your letter everyday because it comforts me in ways you cannot imagine. It brings me that small feeling of hope, that you're still alive and well, living your best life in a big house with a beautiful lake in the back. That maybe you got married, had kids and moved on with your life. You were right when you said Astoria cherishes me and loves me, and although I've had this tiny gut feeling that it should have been you, I don't know what I'd be without her.

I'm f*cking sorry that you had to die but, I remember that look in your eyes, like you've accepted death. Didn't you think about how Hermione and Ron would feel? What about Harry? Was I not enough to let you stay?!

And even though you told me not to blame myself, I still do. Why do you keep putting me through all that pain again? Why do you keep reminding me?!

Yes, it's been fifteen years, but I still see you-- every year, on that day. Why do you keep on coming back?! Why?!

My breath was caught in my throat as I stared at her; her eyes, bluer than a clear ocean; hair, darker than a starless night; skin, whiter than winter's snow. A hauntingly beautiful figure, draped in a long silk, pearly gown; crimson red staining the rich fabric that laid on her chest.

She doesn't respond. Instead, she smiles and extends her hand out to me. Curiosity strikes me and my eyes stare at her palm before traveling up to meet her gaze, so innocent, so pure.

Unknowingly, I place my hand in hers, gasping at the fact that I could somewhat feel her touch; the gentle, long and warm fingers wrapping around my cold palms. How could this be happening?

She slowly pulls me towards the piano, the sound of our footsteps bouncing off the walls of the large and empty ballroom. She sits down on the stool, patting the space next to her and as I follow, she raises the covering to reveal the most gorgeous set of ivory and onyx.

With one look at her, she was glowing like the sun that I cherished so much, vibrant like the sky that we enjoyed our mornings gazing at. Smiling sweetly, rosy cheeks, eyes bursting of compassion like they have always been.

She began to play the song and I harmonized, for this time she led. Graceful dances, pale fingers waltzing and sweeping across the keys perfectly. I couldn't keep up as my eyes were welling up, blurring my vision; the insufferable pain pounding in my heart while we recreated the lovely melody. Tears failed to stay intact as they began to stream down my face when I sensed her presence near me, the breeze stroking my spine reassuringly. The music slows to a stop and my mind is brought back to reality.

"I'm sorry, I didn't tell you earlier, but I love you so much." I whispered, releasing the remains of my fragile heart.

Without another word, she threw her arms around my neck and hugged me in a soothing embrace, a feeling that this was our goodbye. I returned the affection, arms holding her tight as I nuzzled my face into her hair, a touch none other than a gust of wind on my back. Taking a deep breath, I finally close my eyes.

And when I opened them again, she was gone.

Creak.

A streak of white reflecting off the glossy piano and the sound of the floor creaking, brought my attention towards the mahogany door to where a tall, lanky boy--platinum blonde hair slicked back--stood awkwardly, blocking the entryway.

"Come," I command, motioning for him to sit down next to me and he obeys, without any question. "Let me teach you a song."

He turns to me and asks, genuinely, "Father, who were you talking to?" I glanced back into his grey eyes, like looking at my eleven year old self, responding with an answer so simple, yet so complex.

"An old friend of mine."