Chapter Eight

Upon your return to Republic City, you learned that Mako had been thrown in jail, much to your chagrin. Bolin and Asami informed you that he believed Varrick to be behind everything – instigating the war in the South, robbing Future Industries, framing the Triple Threat Triad – and even though it seemed immensely far-fetched, especially considering how much he'd helped all of you, you knew that Mako wouldn't make an accusation of that magnitude unfounded.

Your goal was to continue Mako's investigation, but with Bolin literally begging you to attend his mover premiere, you decided it'd have to wait. After getting gussied up for the premiere, you accompanied Bolin to the jail to visit Mako. Bolin, missing the weight of the situation as usual, excitedly told Mako about the finale of Nuktuk: Hero of the South, and continued to doubt Mako's beliefs about Varrick. You assured Mako that you believed him, on the grounds that he wasn't stupid enough to accuse the richest man in Republic City of something like that without solid evidence, and told him you'd be continuing his investigation, which relieved him quite a bit.

The mover was pretty entertaining on its own, but it got even more entertaining when Bolin suddenly dropped onto the pro-bending stage, fighting three waterbenders, who had apparently tried to kidnap the president. He knocked two of them off the stage, before the third confessed that it was Varrick who set the whole thing up, then Bolin knocked that one off the arena as well.

After the extra and unexpected entertainment, you stood outside, observing as Varrick and Zhu Li were handcuffed and put in the back of a police vehicle, then began walking over to Bolin as he got his picture taken by a dozen paparazzi photogs.

"Bolin, you saved the president! And you proved Mako was right all along. We have to go tell him what happened," Asami declared, but Bolin continued to kiss his co-star Ginger – for reasons that were beyond you.

"Never doubted him for a second, did you, Bo?" you joked.

"Yeah!" was his only response, before he locked lips with the annoying redhead again.

You and Asami both cleared your throats.

"Oh, you meant right now."

Before any of you could head for the jail, the sky bison Oogie suddenly appeared overhead, and Korra began conversing with President Raiko, confessing the Unalaq now wishes to destroy the entire world. With some additional, albeit unexpected help from Varrick, the lot of you headed to the South Pole to stop Unalaq.

The sensation of being caught up in the moment – heading off with your friends to help stop the bad guy – started to wear off as you had some time alone aboard Varrick's battleship. As you stood at the helm of the ship, gazing out across the dark waters, you began to realize that stopping Unalaq would also mean stopping Desna. You knew instantly that you didn't have the heart to fight against the man who held your heart, and you knew it would crush you to see your closest friends fight him. But you also knew that Unalaq had to be stopped, regardless of your romantic situation. So, you forced yourself to stop thinking about it, opting to cross that bridge when you got to it, and rejoined the others, striking up a game of cards with Bolin to distract you.