✮ 𝟎𝟐𝟕 ✮

revels and the hammer

THE party downstairs was loud, the music vibrating Marlene's bedroom walls. She was lying on her bed, a book in her hands as she tried to focus on the words. As she read, her mind wandered to Steve—wondering if he was wondering where she was. She frowned, letting out a groan as she dropped the book next to her. Eyeing her closet, she let out a scoff. Tony's words about a dress for her was ringing in her ears.

Looking at the ceiling, she rolled her eyes when someone knocked on her door. "Jarvis," she called, but Jarvis did not answer. Getting up, she padded to the door and opened it to see Natasha standing there with a small smile. She looked beautiful as Natasha always did.

"Come on, Marlene," she whispered, pulling her in for a hug. "I'm sorry," she said seriously once the woman held her back. "Let me do your hair, and you can wear that dress Tony got you specifically for tonight. Come downstairs and have a good time."

Marlene shrugged. "I'm really not in the mood."

"What if I said Steve is pouting because he wants you there? I saw you two kiss," Natasha said with a wiggle of her eyebrows. Marlene laughed as Natasha pushed her way into the room. "Did you know I kissed him to hide from Rumlow in the mall? I had been trying to set him up with someone, but he kept refusing. He told me after that he liked you on our way to New Jersey. You should go see him."

"You kissed him?" Marlene asked with wide eyes. "What?"

Natasha shrugged. "No feelings. It was before he kissed you. So can I doll you up, beautiful?"

Marlene bit her lip, shrugging. "I don't know."

Natasha walked Marlene over to her vanity area. She sat the woman down, pulling her hair from the messy low pony tail Marlene had it in. She plugged in the curling iron and smiled at the woman in the mirror as she leaned her chin on Marlene's head. "Just let me do my thing."

After about ten minutes, Marlene's white hair was in waves that had Natasha gushing over. She twisted Marlene's body around, grabbing the makeup bag that Pepper had bought the witch. She only did a small bit of eyeliner before adding the darkest red lipstick Marlene had ever seen. With a dramatic opening of the closet door, Natasha grabbed the navy blue knee length dress that she handed Marlene. Turning, Marlene slipped into the tight material, realizing the back was open. She felt Natasha's eyes on her when she turned.

"Steve is going to lose his mind when he sees you," she said with a smirk.

When the elevator door opened, Natasha kept her arm looped with Marlene's as the woman tried to act confident, though she felt anything but. Her silver heels clicked on the floor as Natasha led her out, and almost immediately, she could hear many thoughts enter her head from her friends and others at the party. Pushing them out, she blinked to make her eyes normal and searched around the room until her eyes met Tony's. The billionaire grabbed two drinks from the bar and made his way over to the women.

"Got to say, I have exquisite taste, Elsa," Tony said, leaning over to kiss her cheek.

Natasha squeezed her arm and said, "Captain at nine o'clock. I'm going to get a drink. Have fun!"

When Natasha walked off, Tony said, "You really do look beautiful. I'm glad you came out of your lonely room. Drink?" he asked, handing her the glass.

"Thanks, Tone," she said with a smile. Drinking the liquid, she scrunched up her nose. "Strong."

"You'll need it," Tony promised. "Now, I'm going to walk away so the old man can make his move. Behave, little witch."

Marlene watched him walk off just as two other bodies replaced him. She smiled at Steve and Sam as Sam reached over to hug her. "Hey, I wasn't sure you were coming."