Chapter 20

After taking care of all the demons, with help from Lucien Greymark and his pack, the wedded couple found Clary in tunnels.

She had been slightly traumatized by demons, so after Luke convinced her that they weren't demons, they led the way back to the Institute, arriving in the control room just in time to hear a panicked Jace say, "Right now Clary is the only thing that matters."

"Jace!" the redhead said as she ran down the steps the two hugging as Serena, Alec and Izzy stayed at the top of the stairs, Izzy watching them for a moment before walking off and Alec pulled his wife to him.

"I love you," he said, and she smiled, butterflies in her stomach every time he said that.

"I love you too. But I have to say, you've come a long way from that arrogant little teenager I knew who burst into my bedroom and demanded that I go on a date with him, Mr. You come here often?" she teased, and Alec sighed as his eyes closed.

"That's not going away anytime soon is it?"

"Not as long as you're married to me," she grinned as her arms were wrapped around his neck, his on her waist before Alec turned away and smirked.

Following his line of sight, Serena watched as Clary kissed her brother, the two getting into a pretty steamy make-out session in the middle of the Institute.

"Care to indulge in a victory kiss?" Alec asked with a cheeky smile.

"Why should they have all the fun?"

And their lips met.

******************************************************************

"I'm happy for my brother, I am, but seriously, they need to get a room. We're not even that bad," Serena said as she glanced over to where Jace and Clary were basically having eye-sex as they stood, literally chest-to-chest with each other, Clary with the Mortal Cup in one hand.

"Tell me about it," Alec sighed as he continued staring at the monitor and the sound of Izzy's whip cutting through the air caused them to run around.

"There's nothing a Shadowhunter can't do in heels," she said as she held the mortal cup in one hand and her whip in the other, having used it to snatch the Cup from Clary.

"Amen, sister," Serena piped up as Izzy smiled at her and Jace went over to talk to Alec as Clary put the cup back into the card.

"No Downworlder can get into the Institute," Jace said to Alec, who'd been staring at the monitor since they returned, and Izzy added,

"Not without an invite from a Shadowhunter."

"Last I checked Valentine is a Shadowhunter. The Cup is not Safe here, we have to give it back to the Clave," Alec said.

"Give it back to the Clave? No!" Clary said, outraged by the suggestion. "Not after everything we went through to get it."

"My brother is right," Izzy said, surprising everyone. "The Cup is extremely important."

"Are you agreeing with me?" Alec asked as his hands rested on his wife's shoulders, who was also stunned by Izzy's statement.

"I'm full of surprises," Izzy replied with a small smile.

"This Cup is the one chance I have at getting my mom back," Clary said as she held the card tightly.

"I agree with Clary," Jace voiced and no one was surprised. "We can't give the Cup back to the Clave, not yet. It's our only bargaining chip."

"Look I know how powerful this Cup is. It can create new Shadowhunters, control demons and even kill a mundane if they drank from it. But I promise you, that I will not let that monster get his hands on it," Clary said.

"You can't promise that Clary. All it takes is one second without your eyes on it and it's gone," Serena pointed out.

"She gave you her word," Jace pointed out but the Acting Heads of the Institute didn't trust it.

"Follow me," Alec relented, and Clary obeyed as she followed Alec into the training room where he opened the same tile in the floor with his stele, revealing the chamber where he'd hidden Clary's necklace.

Handing him the card Clary said, "Alec, I realise that I couldn't have done any of this without your help. I want to thank you."

"Don't misread this as friendship," he said as he placed the card inside. "Ever since you showed up our whole world has been turned upside down, and my wife was nearly killed, twice."

Alec stood silently as the chamber fell backinto the ground as he ran his stele over it before leaving Clary alone withthose words.