Chapter 5

Ananya Prasad

Currently, I am sitting in the cafeteria eating food with Siddharth and telling him everything. He is laughing his ass off.

"Is this funny to you Sid?", I asked him angrily.

He tried controlling his laughter and said, "Yes Pinky".

"Shut up Sid".

"I mean out of 750 million male population in India, she chose him. Golu", I told mortified.

"What I don't understand is were they in touch with each other this whole time? I mean nobody even knew that she has a boyfriend let alone it is Golu." I wondered.

Sid snickered and said, "Come on Anu, it won't be that bad. I mean it's been 15 years. He would have forgotten it."

I scoffed and said, "You don't know Golu. He loves to irritate the hell out of me. It will definitely be a nightmare. Him being my Jiju."

Sid told me consolingly, "He might have grown up. He won't irritate you. And what is his real name?"

"I don't know. Now that I think of it I forgot his surname too. It's been 15 years Sid.", I wondered why I don't remember his actual name. Everyone always called him Golu.

"Come on yaar. He wouldn't even be Golu now. He might be Hottu now for all we know and stop gobbling down your food", he said.

I scoffed, "Ewwww.....Golu is always Golu. He will never be Hottu and I have a meeting in 10 minutes. I wonder what my sister saw in him?"

"Maybe she saw his little friend you know?", he said thinking deeply.

"EWWW....you disgust me", I ran away feeling to get my food order.

I can hear his laugh behind me.

When I came back, he asked me, "So what happened after you stabbed him?"

I threw a dirty glance at him and asked, "What do you think would have happened?"

"Everybody froze for a second. My mother was the first one to react. She immediately pulled, no, ripped me away from him, and threw me with such force that I fell on the floor."

"After that, she took the pallu of her saree and held it on his head to stop bleeding. There is not that much blood. Some 5 to 6 drops. Then she asked Sharanya to bring his grandfather because he is also a doctor".

"He came and checked him and said that it's not deep since it is a pen and that I am just a kid. Then they took him to the doctor and he was fine."

"Then my mom had beaten me to death".

"Ha ha ha. I wish I had seen that." Sid snickered and asked, "Then what happened?"

I sighed and remembered what happened next.

When my mother started beating me, Golu's Grandfather, Amit Dadu stopped her and then took me out to an ice-cream parlor and bought me my favorite chocolate ice-cream and then asked me softly,

"Are you feeling better now that you have vented your frustration on Golu?"

I lowered my head and started crying non-stop and started apologizing to Amit dadu. He then hugged me and consoled me till I stopped crying and then rubbed away tears from my eyes and told me,

"I know you are feeling guilty and ashamed. I also know that you are sorry for doing that to Golu. Now, do you understand how dangerous it is to be angry?"

"You might hurt people you love when you are angry"

I then snuffled and said, "But, I don't even like Golu. Sharanya won't play with me because of him and he always teases me".

Dadu laughed and said, "He teases you because he likes you and as of playing with Sharanya, he does it so that, he wants to get your attention. You always ignore him, you know. He just wants to be friends with you."

I looked at dadu and said, "It is not the best way to get my friendship by irritating me. And he took my sister from me. That's why I stabbed him."

Dadu then thought for a second and asked, "So, you feel better now?"

I shook my head as a no.

He then removed some ice-cream on the side of my mouth and told me, "Even though you hate Golu, you are sorry that you did that out of anger. So imagine how hurt would you feel if you had hurt your sister or brother?"

I nodded thoughtfully and said, "I will never get angry again. I don't want to hurt anyone, not even Golu. But, what should I do if I get angry like today?"

Dadu smiled at me and told, "Simple. Close your eyes and count numbers until you are not angry anymore."

I laughed and nodded.

"I want to say sorry to Golu. What should I do?", I asked.

"He loves toy cars", Dadu told me as if it is a secret.

I laughed and said, "Everyone knows that dadu. Will you help me pick one?"

He nodded and then ruffled my hair and then we went home. I don't know what he told my parents, but they did not scold me and my dad bought a toy car so that I can apologize to Golu.

I went and apologized to Golu and gave him the toy car. He was very happy and said that he and I will both play together with the toy car and I agreed happily. Since then, Golu and I became friends. After that, even if called Pinky, I didn't feel bad but instead, I too started teasing him back.

But, what I didn't notice is that my sister didn't like it that he forgave me even after I hurt him and that he also started playing with me. Since then she started being nonchalant with me and stopped talking with me altogether when Golu moved back to Delhi since his parents came back.

After that, we were not in touch with Golu. Sometime later, his grandparents also sold their house and moved back to Delhi.