43

Alister stood frozen in shock.

Wide eyes crouched down in an empty corner were tearfully watching the man laying still at his feet, her mouth slightly agape while her whole body was quivering in horror. Her upper lip was slowly shaking as her mouth desperately began gasping for air.

With a hand hopelessly making efforts to caress the left portion of her chest, she could feel her heart rate increasing with every beat. The graphic imagery of the familiar man collapsing onto the rigid flooring overtook her mind with the memory transcending through her eyes.

Chills spread throughout her arms, her entire form aching with numbness as her eyes replayed the sight of witnessing the end of a life of another.

Soft whimpers replaced the anguished screams she so perilously wanted to release, completely unaware of the brooding presence just above the corpse's rotting flesh.

Alister was unable to move. The thrill of the adrenaline caused by the trigger ran though his body and yet his muscles stayed motionless.

"Kamala." The words managed to escape his mouth, his eyes still glazing over the tiny form in front of him as if still deciding whether she was real.

Kamala flinched slightly at the mention of her name, her eyes tearing away from the prey to his killer, terror filling her eyes.

For a moment, a stroke of silence passed through them, both at a loss of words.
Alister was filled with bewilderment while the disbelief was still stabbing throughout the course of his heart.

At the sight of the pure fear that resonated throughout the specks of her eyes, his legs automatically advanced closer to her trembling body.

Kamala's eyebrows winced in fright, a sharp intake of air grazing her throat. She pushed herself deeper against the wall as she hysterically watched the man's killer approach her, an unfamiliar expression carved deep in his eyes.

Words could not describe her fright.

But Alister didn't stop.

He was unable to see reason or logic. All he wanted was her.

Kamala's breaths intensified with each step that he took, panicked cried slipping through her lips all while increasing with volume until a sharp scream transpired through the room.

Alister kneeled down closer to the hunched woman as he reached his arms closer to her fragile skin, the blood from his previous encounters staining her white sleeves. He pushed her closer to him as she desperately tried to push him off.

Kicking and punching his torso, Kamala was yelling at the top of her lungs now. Begging him to let her go, but his grip didn't falter.

How could he let her go?
He just got her back.

In that moment, his mind couldn't even fathom the sheer panic he was causing the girl. All he acred about was that she was wrapped up in his arms, safe from the outside world.

"L-LET ME GO!" Kamala cried out with all her might, her voice breaking by the end. Shrill yells blasted out of her mouth as the recollection of Alvie's eyes turning lifeless right before collapsing down on the floor sank in.
He killed him.

"STOP! LET ME GO!" Her screams echoed throughout the room but Alister only gripped her harder and tighter around his body.