fourteen.

"I can't believe we're bout to go home next week! When we come back, Kari gon have a birthday, the big 20," Jeli pouted

"I can't believe we're bout to go home next week! When we come back, Kari gon have a birthday, the big 20," Jeli pouted. "I'm buying you a birthday gift, I hope you know that,"

"No! A Christmas gift is enough," she giggled as they waited for Aja. The girls were going out to eat today, just to catch up. Finals week had everyone frantically studying and pulling all nighters in attempts to pass all their tests before they went home till the new year.

"Too late, the birthday gift is bought," she laughed.

Usually, since her birthday wasn't even a month after Christmas, Sakari usually went to dinner with her family and friends on her birthday, her dad always treated her, and her mom would buy her favorite ice cream, non dairy or sorbet of course, and they'd have a girls night with her sisters, and aunt Tamara.

She loved it that way. She looked forward to her little celebration every year, she didn't want anyone feeling like they had to buy her gifts back to back just because it was her birthday.

"Well thank you in advance," she smiled graciously. She learned to just accept gifts from Jelani. She never took no for an answer.

Sakari herself had been back and forth at the mall all month, buying gifts for her family and friends. They didn't have to do nearly as many grocery runs as they were doing gift runs this month, but it was fun, she liked when she could check a name off her list.

"What'd you get Khi?" Jeli smirked, making Kari chuckle.

"This hat he wanted, he saw it on tiktok and has been obsessing over getting one with his name on it. I had to lose him in the mall so I could run to Lids," she shook her head. "It's an Angels hat, I packed it already but I'll show you pictures," she explained.

"Aw! That's sweet! I wonder what he got you," she continued to tease, hoping to see her blush, which was starting to work. "Okay, Ima leave you alone. There go Aja anyway, come on," she pointed at Aja who was walking up their walkway.

The girls greeted each other before hopping in Khi's car. Again, he had lended it to Sakari so the girls could get around seamlessly without having to pay for ubers.

Once they got to their restaurant of choice, they were seated pretty quickly and served some waters while they looked through the menu to decide what they may want.

"Okay, Ms. Aja, time to spill, you done held out forever," Jeli sat her menu down, quite dramatically. 

"Oh! Right," she smiled. "Well our first date was really sweet. It was super traditional, we went and saw a movie and he bought me dinner. At first, I was really nervous, not talking much and I knew it would happen but he was just really...accommodating. He was silent with me, he didn't try to make me talk, or anything. He was just really patient and by the time we got to the restaurant, I was laughing and joking with him. It came so naturally," she gushed.