[ 34 ] certifiably insane

CERTIFIABLY INSANE

"What happens when I turn seventeen?"

Silence.

Aspen stared at her parents with a mix of accusation and suspicion when both their heads fell to stare at the oak table. Her brows furrowed as thought after thought, suspicion after suspicion, racked through her mind.

She gulped, swallowing a lump in her throat, and stared at her father. Her mother, Maggie, had been extremely quiet this whole time, whereas her father had been very vocal in yelling at her. Her mind drifted to her 'dead' brother and his words again.

Before she knew it, she was gathering up the courage to ask yet another question that she didn't even know if it was what she was suspecting.

"Is it something supernatural?"

Her father stared daggers into her eyes as he looked up from the table. They narrowed at the purple-haired girl, as his head cocked to the side condescendingly.

Her mother was still quiet, and had barely moved.

"What did you just say?" her father scoffed, slowly getting up from his seat, his eyes rolling with more condescendment.

"I-I don't know..." Aspen found herself stuttering, frankly scared by her father's behaviour.

"You said 'is it something supernatural '" her father scoffed again as he quoted Aspen's words. "You mean vampires? Or no, no... let me guess, werewolves."

Aspen heard the condescending in his voice, the mockery.

"Forget I asked." she mumbled, turning on her feet to go to her own room, but she was stopped when she heard her father's fists slam on the dinging room table, making her flinch.

"You're crazy!" he seethed. "If you think shit like that exists out of the movies then you're certifiably insane, Aspen."

"James..." her mother finally spoke in a quiet warning, trying to calm her husband down but failing to do so. If he was a cartoon character, you'd see the steam pouring out of his ears right now.

Now it was Aspen's turn to scoff and roll her eyes.

"Whatever you say, dad."

"I should be taking you to Eichen House right now with that insane crap that just came out of your mouth!" her father said coldly. "Hell, I'm sure they'd love nothing more than to have you back."

The silence returned. The deafening kind.

"Back? " Aspen's voice was quiet, merely a whisper, as she let one singular tear escape her eye and roll down a cheek.

"That's enough, James." Her mother spoke, much more firm than before. Her mother grabbed her father's wrist almost threateningly rather than in warning.

Aspen wanted to press further, she wanted to scream at her father for the way he had acted and the words he had said, but she was frozen still as her parents practically fled the room.

So Aspen stood in the middle of her living room, tears brimming at her eyes but she didn't let them fall. Instead, she blinked up to the ceiling and quickly rubbed her eyelids, eliminating every tear. She let out a deep breath as she tried to analyse what just happened. Moments passed and she just stood motionless, until she was finally snapped out of her daze when her cell phone rang in her pocket.

She pulled it out to check the caller ID, seeing Jackson's name flash on the screen. She swiped to answer and held the phone to her ear waiting for his voice.